Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] SPX30 hard over on auto activation
01-19-20, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-20 09:30 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
SPX30 hard over on auto activation
I have sent my SPX30 unit in twice for testing. The Raymarine techs say there is nothing wrong with the unit. I have replaced both the flux compass and rudder reference. I have set up and tested the rudder bar on my ST8001 head. I am using a type 1 linear drive unit. At the dock when I press the auto function, the rudder immediately goes hard over. If the rudder is slightly to starboard, it goes hard over starboard and if is slightly to port go hard over to port. I tried to do a sea trial calibration but never passes the “swing” calibration. Any suggestions? Thank in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-20, 09:43 PM
RE: SPX30 hard over on auto activation
Hello Pcbeachbroker,

This is a very common question/problem. Either your rudder reference or your linear drive are mounted on the boat in the opposite orientation to way they're electrically connected. Either the rudder reference or linear drive can be mounted either on the port side of the boat or starboard, whichever is easiest, but the pilot needs to know which way round they are so that they can read/drive the right way. If either rudder data or drive output is the wrong way round (not that there is a 'wrong' way), the pilot thinks the steering is moving the wrong way and keeps on trying to apply helm to correct until it ends up hard over.

With the pilot in Standby, move the helm slowly port and starboard and make sure that the rudder bar moves the right way. If it doesn't, swap the red and green wires of the rudder reference connection on the SPX. This might mean that you have the green wire in the red terminal and vice versa but that's ok.
Once this is complete (make sure you do the rudder reference check first), centre the helm, press Auto and +10 and make sure that the helm doesn't go hard over or to port. If it does do either of these, swap the drive wires over at the SPX (the motor terminals are only labelled A and B, not Plus/Minus, it's ok to have them either way round to match the way your drive is installed.)

I am confident this will fix the issue.

Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply