Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
evolution autopilot
09-13-16, 09:05 AM
RE: evolution autopilot
Scott,

The ACU-200's power output to the STng backbone is limited and would typically be recommended to power a backbone which included nothing more than the autopilot control head, EV-1 Sensor Core, and MFD. Should the any additional devices be interfaced to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone, then it would be recommended that that the ACU's power switch be configured to the OFF position, that a spur socket be installed at the approximate mid-point of the backbone's LEN Load, and that a SeaTalkng Power Cable (protected with a 3A fuse) which has been interfaced to a switched 12 VDC power circuit be connected to the aforementioned spur socket.

As systems tend to grow over the vessel's life and memories are short with respect to limitations such as has been specified within this response, it is considered a best installation practice to power the SeaTalkng backbone as has been specified within this response rather than via an autopilot ACU / course computer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-16, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-16 09:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, so as I have it now, spur plugged to mfd and other end to sensor core is good. If I add the other stuff, acu-200 and control head then I would need the power to the 5 outlet block.
09-14-16, 09:07 AM
Scott,

Q1. so as I have it now, spur plugged to mfd and other end to sensor core is good.
A1. This statement is incorrect. Devices designed for SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications cannot be directly interfaced to one another. Instead, each must be interfaced via an appropriate length of spur cable to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. A simple backbone to interface two SeaTalkng devices which are located not more than 12m from one another may be constructed from a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector, SeaTalkng Power Cable, two SeaTalkng Termination Plugs, and a pair of SeaTalkng Spur Cables of appropriate length to interfaced the devices to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector.
09-26-16, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-16 06:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, just to let you know, all is good. After getting a starter kit, plugged into 5 way mfd to 5 way, sensor core to 5 way and power to 5 way, I now have radar overlay.

do have another question, now when mfd unit is turned off and no power to sensor core, I still see a red light flashing, this is normal, right?
09-28-16, 09:49 AM
gatotom,

The MFD is neither designed to supply power to nor be powered by a SeaTalkng backbone. Accordingly, switching OFF the MFD will in no way affect the power supplied to the SeaTalkng Backbone which is in turn powering the EV-1 Sensor Core. Per my earlier response to this thread, it would be recommended that that the ACU's power switch be configured to the OFF position, that a spur socket be installed at the approximate mid-point of the backbone's LEN Load, and that a SeaTalkng Power Cable (protected with a 3A fuse) which has been interfaced to a switched 12 VDC power circuit be connected to the aforementioned spur socket. Accordingly, should you desire to then switch OFF power to the EV-1 Sensor Core, then it would be necessary to switch OFF 12 VDC power circuit which I had recommended that you install to power the SeaTalkng backbone. You should also verify that the ACU's SeaTalkng Power switch is in the OFF position as previously indicated.