Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPT100 Transducer help
02-17-16, 04:09 PM
CPT100 Transducer help
CPT100 Transducer help
I am in the process of completely upgrading the majority of my electronic equipment on my boat and I have a few questions surrounding my setup which has not yet been installed on the boat.

I have attached a network diagram but basically I have an a125 MFD and two a78 MFDs. My a78s each came with a CPT-100 transducer and I also have an existing ST60 depth gauge and transducer.

My boat is twin inboards and I do understand that the transom mounted transducer is not effective at most speeds because of prop wash and turbulence around the transducer. With this in mind; I am still planning on installing so I can get temp and sonar at very slow speeds / when not moving.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I tell my MFDs to use the depth information from my ST-60 but still use the temperature and sonar from the CPT100?

2. Since I have 2 CPT100s; any benefit to installing both and connecting each one up to each of the a78 MFDs? (The a125 is the master MFD)

3. Any tips on location for inboards to get as much information as possible know that the prop wash will ultimately block good information?

Kindest regards and many thanks in advance for your assitance.

Jeff

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Network Map.pdf (Size: 449.63 KB / Downloads: 378)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-16, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-16 05:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: CPT100 Transducer help
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jeff,

Q1. Can I tell my MFDs to use the depth information from my ST-60 but still use the temperature and sonar from the CPT100?

A1. Please click here to view a related thread addressing this subject. Databoxes populated with Depth within a Fishfinder application pane will reflect depth determined by the fishfinder sounder whose imagery is being displayed within that instance of the Fishfinder application. When automatic depth source selection has been configured instrument depth will be prioritized over fishfinder depth within the Databar, Data Application panels, and Databoxes of all other applications, (Chart, Radar, Weather, etc.).

-----------------

Q2. Since I have 2 CPT100s; any benefit to installing both and connecting each one up to each of the a78 MFDs? (The a125 is the master MFD)?

A2. Other than redundancy, there would typically be no advantage to installing a second CHIRP/DownVision transducer.

-----------------

Q3. Any tips on location for inboards to get as much information as possible know that the prop wash will ultimately block good information?

A3. Transom mounted transducers should not be installed on vessels having inboard propulsion systems. Thru-hull or in-hull transducers should be installed on vessels on vessels having inboard propulsion systems. As the CPT-100 is a transom mounted transducer and Raymarine does not offer an in-hull CHIRP/DownVision transducer, a CPT-110 or CPT-120 transducer should be installed.
02-24-16, 08:33 AM
Thank you for your feedback. I have now purchased the CPT-120 through-hull Raymarine transducer. I was planning on installing near my existing In-Hull Raymarine depth transducer (connected to an ST-60 display) that was from the Regal factory setup. Here are a few new questions:

What limitations do I have between the two transducers - how far apart do they need to be

Is there a concern for the frequency of each transducer (proximity of transducer and cabling)

Will the turbulents from the Through-Hull impact the In-Hull if it is near it?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I have attached my network diagram just in case you would like to reference my overall setup.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Network Map.pdf (Size: 368.16 KB / Downloads: 436)
02-24-16, 09:47 AM
Q1. What limitations do I have between the two transducers - how far apart do they need to be.

A1. Raymarine has not specified the minimum distance which a CHIRP/DownVision transducer should be installed form other transducers. That said, you may want to consider installing them on opposite sides of the keel.

Q2. Is there a concern for the frequency of each transducer (proximity of transducer and cabling).

A2. There should not be any frequency related issues as the CHIRP/DownVision transducer transmits very low power and does so across a spectrum of frequencies (i.e. it CHIRPs).

Q3. Will the turbulents from the Through-Hull impact the In-Hull if it is near it?

A3. See the response to Q1 concerning recommended location for the CHIRP/DownVision transducer.