Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Installing evo400 on a steel hull sailboat
10-07-16, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-18 10:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Installing evo400 on a steel hull sailboat
Is there an issue install the evo400 system on a steel hull sail boat. What type of consideration for mounting the evolution compass?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-16, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-18 10:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Installing evo400 on a steel hull sailboat
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum George,

As Raymarine autopilots feature magnetic north seeking sensors, it may be necessary to install an Evolution autopilot's EV-1 Sensor Core above decks should the sensed deviation below decks be excessive. It is not uncommon for such sensors to be mounted above decks to the aluminum mast of sailboats such as yours.
08-15-18, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-18 10:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dear all,
I have a question, since I have to mount the ev1 sensor on the aluminum mast, since I have got a steel sailboat.
Inside the mast there are electric cables of the navigation lights and of the radar, in addition to the vhf antenna cable.
In the istructions about the location of the sensor I read: "The unit must be at least 1 m (3 ft.) away from any source of magnetic interference, such as compasses and electrical cables."
Can you tell me how to do?

Best regards,
Maurizio
08-16-18, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-18 10:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Maurizio,

Low current carrying conductors should not pose a problem for magnetic north seeking devices. However, high current carrying conductors can create magnetic fields. Should one have a concern that the considered mounting location may produce high detected levels of deviation, then it would be considered to be a best installation practice that the EV-1 be installed in a temporary fashion and that following execution of the Dockside Wizard that the vessel be taken on the cruise to determine the maximum detected deviation. When cruising, all devices having cabling which passes through the mast should be switched ON and continuously operated until the cruise to detect deviation has been completed. If the considered installation location is found to produce an acceptable maximum detected deviation, then the EV-1 may be permanently mounted, a Pilot Factory Reset executed, and Dockside Wizard re-executed, and cruise to determine deviation executed again.