Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St7000 computer repair/purchase
12-20-16, 12:57 PM
St7000 computer repair/purchase
Hi, I have an st7000 course computer - Z83-12v - that is giving an error "NO MAIN POWER" only when I switch from standby to auto. I've checked all the supplies to the computer and motor drive unit and all read above 12v (12.7v). There is no change in current when I switch from standby to auto. Q1: I did not see this error code in the documentation (it is NOT the same as "BATTERY LOW" alarm). What is triggering this message? Referring to the schematic on p. 65 and 69 in the service manual, Is it the 5v computer voltage or the 12v motor drive voltage or something else? Q2: this issue has appeared on a few cruisers forums and experts say a new computer is required. Is there anyone anywhere that fixes these things (e.g., Raymarine?) or anyone that sells refurbished systems?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-16, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-16 01:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: St7000 computer repair/purchase
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum crwalsh,

Please note that support the details of repairing a product are beyond the scope of support offered by Raymarine. Please additionally note that the ST7000 is an autopilot control head, not an autopilot course computer. In order to provide some guidance regarding the message reported, it would be necessary to know the model of autopilot course computer which has been interfaced to the ST7000 autopilot control head. Should you be unable to locate a label identifying the autopilot course computer's product name or product ID (typically found on the back side of the autopilot course computer), then please respond with a photo of the autopilot course computer.
12-20-16, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-16 05:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Z083 12v is how the course computer is referenced in the manual. The manual is titled st7000 and comprises the control unit, the course computer, and other components.
12-21-16, 08:42 AM
crwalsh,

Thanks for clarification of the autopilot course computer owned. The reported message would normally be symptomatic of an un-powered Z083 autopilot course computer being interfaced to a SeaTalk bus, which in turn has been interfaced to an autopilot control head (ex. ST7000, etc.). Should the autopilot Z083 autopilot course computer be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and the voltage then measured at the Z083 autopilot course computer's terminals indicate that 12V is being supplied to the Z083 autopilot course computer, then the reported message would be indicative of a failure within the autopilot course computer's circuitry. Unfortunately, Raymarine can no longer supply parts and service for Z083 autopilot course computers, necessitating that at least the Z083 autopilot course computer be replaced. If supplied with the make/model of autopilot drive unit that has been interfaced to the Z083 autopilot course computer, then it may be possible to specify a model of Evolution autopilot which may be installed in place of the currently installed autopilot.
03-27-17, 09:38 AM
I have on my 2004 Searay 420 DA a RAYPILOT ST 7001+.
What are my choices should I want to upgrade to a newer autopilot?
Thanks
03-27-17, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Fred,

While an Evolution autopilot can typically be used to replace autopilot of the vintage specified, it is recommended that a complete list (makes and models) of all devices (ex. MFDs, instruments, GPS sensors, etc.) within the marine electronics system be specified to ensure an accurate response.
05-11-17, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-17 01:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, thanks for the reply.
I have upgraded most of the electronics onboard: E127 MFD, E95 MFD, RAY 260 VHF, RD424HD RADAR, AIS 650 to name a few.

Thanks,
Fred
05-11-17, 01:22 PM
Fred,

The Evolution autopilots would be compatible with each of the marine electronics products which you have listed. Given the type of boat and its size, it likely has hydraulic steering (you will need to confirm). In vessels with hydraulic steering, the cubic capacity of the steering ram is used to determine the size of hydraulic pump and corresponding Evolution autopilot components. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should you respond with confirmation that the vessel has hydraulic steering and respond with the cubic capacity of the vessel's steering ram or model/part number of the currently installed autopilot hydraulic pump, then the corresponding Evolution autopilot components may be specified.