Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to start???
04-20-17, 10:17 AM
RE: Where to start???
One more item for now... Is there any situation in which the autopilot system would not have or use a course computer?

I ask because according to the 'Pathfinder PC" diagram you attached in your first response to me I see under the computer an item labeled 'cable clamp'. I have on of those inside the center console and didn't know what it was until I saw the diagram. Slightly above it are two screws like where the course computer was mounted. I texted the prior owner about the whereabouts of the course computer and he said "it's in front of the center console and runs thru the gps." I know the Fluxgate heading sensor is in the front of the center console which I think he's getting them confused. (separate issue with him).

So I'm just making sure that even if i have the Hydraulic Drive Unit, the Fluxgate Heading Sensor, the Autopilot Controllerand the Linear Rudder Position Sensor... without the course computer, the system is non-functional?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-17, 12:24 PM
japaleno,

Q1. One more item for now... Is there any situation in which the autopilot system would not have or use a course computer?
A1. No.

Q2. So I'm just making sure that even if i have the Hydraulic Drive Unit, the Fluxgate Heading Sensor, the Autopilot Controllerand the Linear Rudder Position Sensor... without the course computer, the system is non-functional?
A2. The system would be non-functional respect to any autopilot capabilities.
08-31-17, 08:51 AM
Hi Chuck, In our previous Q/A, one photo you sent me shows the use of a Type 400G Course Computer. Since I am missing mine, I am looking into finding a working used one. Is that the only one I should look for, or are there other model numbers that are compatible?
08-31-17, 09:24 AM
japaleno,

The diagram referencing the Type 400G Course Computer is simply a sample diagram of a Raymarine system featuring Pathfinder Series Displays. The model of autopilot course computer to be installed would be dependent upon the type of steering system installed on the boat (ex. mechanical cable steering, power assisted cable steering, hydraulic steering, etc.). If the vessel is hydraulically steered, then it would be necessessary to determine the fluid capacity of the steering ram(s). The fluid capacity of the steering ram(s) would in turn determine which hydraulic pump should be fitted. The model of hydraulic pump will in turn determine which autopilot course computer should have been installed. Should the vessel not feature hydraulic steering, then please specify the type of steering system installed along with the vessel's length and displacement.