Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade from C90W to Axiom keep other devices
04-25-17, 05:28 PM
Upgrade from C90W to Axiom keep other devices
Hello,

My c90w has died and I'm looking at replacing it with the Axiom 9 chart only version.

Other equipment I would like to keep and related observed wiring/connections:
1. HD Color Radome E92142 (added new in 2014) connected via Seatalk HS NET (E55049 Rev r cable)
2. SmartPilot X30
3. ST7002 control head
4. ST60+ Wind, Speed, Depth
5. DST800 tri-ducer (not sure yet if its NMEA 0183 or 2k)
6. ICOM DSC VHF IC-M422 GPS from c90W output into NMEA 0183 on VHF

I see two sets of splice connections from the c90w main power cable port to what looks like 2 seatalk black cables.

the first includes black white, red white and yellow white

the second includes solid yellow to yellow st1, solid to white st1 and (brown and gray) spliced to the ground

Questions

a. Will the axiom support my radar E55049 cable or should I look for a later version?
b. Will the seatalk 1 to seatalk ng converter kit part E22158 cover the other devices?
c. How is my current setup sending out to the NMEA 0183 for the VHF GPS signal?
d. Can I put the E22158 mg backbone into the back of my navpod and connect the existing wire runs into from there or is there an upgrade needed further down the lines requiring pulling down my headliners and routing new cables.

Thanks in advance
Brian
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-17, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-17 03:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Upgrade from C90W to Axiom keep other devices
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Brian,

Q1. Will the axiom support my radar E55049 cable or should I look for a later version?
A1. Yes ... the Axiom MFDs are designed to support all models or radomes and open array pedestals which had been designed for use with C-Series Widescreen MFDs.

Q2. Will the seatalk 1 to seatalk ng converter kit part E22158 cover the other devices?
A2. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will indeed be used to bridged data between the SeaTalk bus and the SeaTalkng backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should the DST800 be analog, then no changes need be made to how it has been interfaced to the system. However, should the DST800 be a NMEA 0183 transducer, then a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) will need to be installed between the transducer and a spur socket within the backbone. Should the DST800 be a NMEA 2000 transducer, then it will simply be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone.

Q3. How is my current setup sending out to the NMEA 0183 for the VHF GPS signal?
A3. It is possible that the NMEA 0183 output leads have been interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input leads of the third party VHF radio to supply it with GPS data. As the Axiom MFDs do not have a NMEA 0183 communications interface, it is recommended that the SeaTalkng backbone additionally include an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter to supply the VHF radio with GPS data.

Q4. Can I put the E22158 mg backbone into the back of my navpod and connect the existing wire runs into from there or is there an upgrade needed further down the lines requiring pulling down my headliners and routing new cables.
A4. The constructed SeaTalkng backbone should included the SPX30, which will be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus. It would then possible to chase backbone cable into the pod, where it will may then be interfaced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to support interfacing the ST7002 and ST60 Instruments. Following installation, it is strongly recommended that the SPX30's be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update.
04-26-17, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-17 04:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck this helps a lot - Just some more follow up to confirm I understand this and some options - if i run an ng backbone extender and a spur from my SPX30 (which sits in my nav station) into the E22158 (which acts as part of the backbone closest to the Axiom) - I'll then have the ng backbone extended where my spx30 is, from there I can do more like bring power and I could more easily add other/future NMEA 2k or 0183 converters onto it from that area as well if i need to. May as well upgrade my VHF to an AIS 2k unit if the ng line is in the same area. I Is my interpretation and thoughts in the right ballpark? Im about to order most of the stuff to get started so again really appreciate your response in advance.
04-27-17, 08:38 AM
Brian,

Your assessment appears to be spot on. Essentially an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable will be interfaced to one of the blue backbone sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to be located in the pod. A SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector or SeaTalkng T-Piece will connected to the Nav Station end of the SeaTalkng Backbone Cable to provide a spur socket to which the SPX30's Spur Cable to be connected.