Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SR50 Compatibility with A95
05-14-17, 04:54 PM
SR50 Compatibility with A95
I was expecting limited performance from an existing SR50 weather receiver when viewed on a new A95 MFD - in particular the audio would not be available. While it does display marine text forecasts and local surface observations, NowRad and other graphics products are not shown. Also of note, zooming out, except very slowly, will crash the A95 and cause it to reboot (and lose the weather cache it had acquired). The SR50 does connect to the A95, and both are running the latest software releases (very old for SR50). I've configured on the A95 to use an "SR50" and to show NowRad graphics. Signal strength is high or medium. I allowed 30 minutes for refresh on multiple occasions.

Is there hope to use the SR50 with the A95, or should I install the old C80 as a temporary way to use the SR50 for this season? To troubleshoot, I temporarily did that and confirmed that the NowRad, etc. are still available when the C80 hosts the SR50. Thanks! Ted
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-17, 02:31 PM
RE: SR50 Compatibility with A95
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ted,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As you have suggested, you may want to instead use the SR50 with the C-Series Classic MFD until such time that the SR50 may be replaced with a SR150.
07-04-17, 11:16 AM
Chuck,

I read this thread and some other detailed information you posted about using the sr50 with newer mfds (mine is the eS127)

In one of the Articles you posted it states that you will not be able to receive satellite radio using the sr50 with a newer MFD.

I just wanted to double-check with you that this is true before I dish out another $700 that I don't really have to spend. I would love to hook up my current sr50 to the es127 but radio functionality is a must.

If it is in fact possible please let me know what adapter cables I should use to make the connection.

If the cables are too expensive and I can get a good price on eBay for the sr50 I will probably just take the plunge like I have with everything else and buy the sr150... but if it can be done cheaply and radio will remain functional I would like to go that route for now.

Thanks,

Robert
07-05-17, 07:10 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-17 07:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Robert,

As has been specified within the referenced FAQ, should a SR50 Sirius Satellite Weather/Radio Receiver be interfaced to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD, then Sirius Satellite Radio will not be supported with this Satellite Weather / Radio Receiver and several weather graphics layers will not be supported. It is recommended that the SR150, SR6 (retired), or SR100 (retired) be used with a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs.