Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
G Series speed data input
05-31-17, 06:41 AM
G Series speed data input
Hi, can you please let us know if there is an option to set the speed display on the data bar of my G Series to show speed calculated by the internal gps sensor of the G Series system, rather that what it currently shows which appears to be the speed log from the paddle wheel that's connected to the ST-60.
Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-17, 09:22 AM
RE: G Series speed data input
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dmahler,

G-Series Products do not feature internal GPS sensors. These products are reliant upon a GPS sensor which has been interfaced to the SeaTalk, SeaTalkng, or NMEA 0183 communications interface of the system's GPM400. That said, should the system be receiving a GPS position FIX, then the GPS data source would also provide the system with Speed Over Ground (SOG). The Databar of the G-Series System may be modified to display any supported data item desired by the operator. Section 21.2: Customizing the databar of the G-Series User Reference provides detailed instructions regarding how to customize the Databar to display the data items of choice. In this case, SOG will be chosen from the GPS data group.
05-31-17, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-17 02:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the help.. I followed it in detail, however, when I go into the SYSTEM INTEGRATION section of main menu, the optiosn that are presented do NOT match the manual section that you reference. I have:
auto pilot contrtol
dsc mesg
sea talk alarm
BUT I DO NOT HAVE THE "PREFERRED GPS SOURCE"

I assume THAT is hat I need to set to get the gps speed to show on the databar.
Can you offer any guidance?
Thanks,
David J. Mahler
05-31-17, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-17 04:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
David,

Q: I DO NOT HAVE THE "PREFERRED GPS SOURCE" I assume THAT is hat I need to set to get the gps speed to show on the databar.
A: Incorrect. Like MFDs offered during the manufacturing period of the GPM400, this product did not support multiple data sources. In systems of this manufacturing period, it was recommended that the system be interfaced to a single source of any type of data (ex. GPS, wind, depth, speed through water, rudder, etc.). In short, should the system be reporting that it is receiving a GPS position FIX, then it has a source of SOG data and no GPS selection would need to occur. Should the system be reporting that it is getting a GPS position FIX and should the vessel be moving, then SOG will be reported as a numerical value. However, should either be reporting that it is not getting a GPS position FIX or should the vessel not be moving, then SOG may be reported a -.-. When customizing the Databar, and after having selecting the Databar's cell to be modified, Vessel will be selected from the list of Data Groups displayed (the Data Group listing may vary based upon the version of software installed within the GPM400), and then COG SOG will then be selected from the list of GPS data items.
05-31-17, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-17 04:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, but, please know that when vessel is moving, there IS a display of SOG, that I assume is obtained from the paddle wheel transducer??? The pic I provided was while vessel was docked. The questions is HOW can we get the speed to show as actual speed (calculated by gps) and NOT sog, which always reads a slower speed due to conditions.
Thnks,
dave
05-31-17, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-17 04:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
David,

"SOG" is not calculated from motion sensed by a paddlewheel. "SOG" is calculated by the GPS sensor. The "Speed" data item (better termed Speed Through Water) is calculated by an instrument or fishfinding device which is in turn interfaced to a transducer featuring a speed through water sensor (paddle wheel). The Databar of your MFD clearly lists that is has been configured to display the "Speed" data item (listed within the Vessel data group). This need to be changed to instead display the "COG / SOG" data item (listed within the Vessel data group).
06-19-17, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-17 08:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck, ok, that worked... thank you.
thanks,
dave
06-20-17, 08:22 AM
You're welcome.