Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Display Hood Accessory
06-05-17, 03:10 PM
Display Hood Accessory
Lighthouse manual says
"If, due to the required installation location, exposure to these elements is anticipated then it is recommended that you consider:
attaching a third-party ‘display hood accessory’ to reduce direct sunlight exposure and the volume of water that the display is exposed to."

Does someone actually make one of these for the eS97? Or is this simply kicking the can into someone else's yard?
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-17, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-17 08:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Display Hood Accessory
dhs.short@gmail.com,

I almost suspect that the referenced comment may be a leftover from days when the backlighting technology and anti-reflective screen coatings were less advanced, causing it to be difficult to view the screen under direct sunlight. As the backlighting circuitry of today's MFDs and anti-reflective screen coatings are now designed to permit the screens to be viewed in direct sunlight, we rarely receive comments concerning difficulty viewing the screens in direct sunlight. Similarly, I am aware of no third party manufacturers producing such devices. The comment may be better suited to addressing interacting with a wet touch screen, where such a shield may reduce moisture on the screen's surface. However, when operating under such conditions, it may prove more helpful to simply lock the MFD's touchscreen and then use the MFD's buttons to control the MFD.
06-05-17, 04:00 PM
Thanks Chuck - It does suggest touch screen lock first. I am remembering an older, low end Garmin that was not very fond of multiple hours of direct sunlight, pretty sure due to the heat.
I may make up some sort of shade
06-06-17, 08:02 AM
You're welcome.