Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Transducer Problem?
06-29-17, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-18 10:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Transducer Problem?
Joe,

As indicated within the FAQ referenced at the beginning of this thread, all hulls are not equally suited for planing speed operation with transom mounted transducers. Hulls having very shallow draft represent a particular challenge in permitting a non-aerated flow of water to pass beneath a transom mounted transducer. In larger vessels, this issue is commonly addressed by installation of a compatible thru-hull transducer. In systems featuring a MFD where CHIRP/DownVision fishfinder imaging is desired, this limitation is often overcome by networking the MFD to a device having 50/200kHz fishfinder circuitry and then installing a compatible thru-hull or in-hull 50/200kHz transducer. When operating at planing speeds, the MFD would then be configured to display fishfinder imaging from 50/200kHz transducer. As Dragonfly products are not designed with communications interfaces to permit them to be interfaced to other marine electronics products, this alternate solution does not apply to Dragonfly products.

The only additional recommendation that may be made is to try dropping the aft end of the transducer a notch or two to determine whether it improves performance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-17, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-17 03:57 PM by Dave - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, I'll keep working on it. I never had this problem with any other fish finder transducer. I don't know how I can get it away from anything that will cause aeration.
08-19-17, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-17 08:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I'd like to move the Dragonfly 7 Pro from the console to the bow of the boat; what extension cable do i need for this. I believe the transducer is the CPT-DVS model and the cable end has a green connector.

thanks.
08-21-17, 08:23 AM
Joe,

The 4m extension for this application is A80312.
01-28-18, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-18 10:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The A80312 cable (power) has 3 wires, red, gray and black; the cable with the original installation has only 2 wires, red and black. What is the gray wire for in the extension cable?

Also, do i need to hook up power at the device, or can i simply leave what is there in the console and tape the extension wires?
01-29-18, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-18 12:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Transducer Problem?
joe-al,

The lead which you have referenced is the product's drain lead. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing what should be done with a product's drain lead. When a Dragonfly transducer/power extension cable is installed, the power leads of the original transducer/power cable will not be used. All power connections will instead be made to the Dragonfly transducer/power extension cable.