Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RL70C not communicating with RC631
06-10-16, 02:50 PM
RE: RL70C not communicating with RC631
Q: I am going to take the ST1 cable from the converter and which currently runs to the 400G, and instead run it to a buss bar which will in this case be my #2 ST1 buss.

From #2 ST1 Buss, i am going to run the sliver, red and yellow to the ST6001control head. Also from #2 ST1Buss, I am going to run just the silver and yellow to the 400G course computer.

A1. Correct

Q2. Lastly i recently upgrades the ST1-STNG converters to something higher than 1.21. Do you have something that tells me how to dial back the upgrades? Or is it a simple matter of downloading the V1.21 on the chip and booting the MFD just like if i was upgrading?

A2. The downgrade should not be performed unless the reported problem persists. In that case, the download ST-STng Converter zip file would be downloaded to the computer, unzipped/opened, all files within the downloaded zip file copied/extracted and pasted into the root level directory of a microSD memory card. The Data Master MFD will then be switched OFF, the microSD memory card containing these files will be inserted into the MFD's memory card reader, and then the MFD will be switched ON to perform the update (in this case downgrade).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-16, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-16 08:38 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck not sure where you are with an answer to my question about the seatalk fail on the ST6001 control head when the boat is operating on batteries.

Only while under engine or attached to shore power will I not get a SeaTalk fail and the autopilot operates normally. I've attached the latest wiring diagram as it is wired now.

Maybe you can spot something I may have overlooked.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  dkritter schematic.pdf (Size: 984.97 KB / Downloads: 346)
06-17-16, 09:28 AM
dkritter,

Based upon the symptoms supplied, I suspect that the problem may be caused one of the following:
- poor electrical connections in the circuit supplying the SeaTalkng backbone
- batteries have deteriorated and are in need of replacement
- the battery capacity supplying the marine electronics either lacks sufficient capacity

It is correspondingly recommended that circuit supplying the SeaTalkng backbone be inspected from the SeaTalkng backbone's power cable through the power distribution panel to the batteries to ensure that all cables are of the appropriate gauge, free of corrosion, and connections are tight. If so, then it is recommended that the batteries be load tested and that you additionally consider additional battery capacity. With the exception of the 12VDC power feed to the SeaTalkng backbone, the diagram appears correct. Your diagram shows the SeaTalkng power insertion at one extreme end of the backbone, whereas our recommendations call for the SeaTalkng power insertion point to be at the approximate mid-point of the backbone's LEN load ... move the power insertion cable to the other side of your SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. That said, it is very unlikely that SeaTalkng power insertion point's location is the source of your problem.
06-17-16, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-16 01:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck for the trouble shooting tips.

I think I am going to separate the autopilot from the ST1-STNG network and attach the ST6001 head directly to the 400G course computer and operate it as a stand alone unit (not integrated with the ST1-STNG) and see how it behaves or if the same symptoms appear.

So the course computer would only have the ST6001 (all three ST1 wires) attached to it along with it's power for the motors and be able to be operated as a stand alone. Does that make sense?
06-17-16, 01:44 PM
dkritter,

Q. So the course computer would only have the ST6001 (all three ST1 wires) attached to it along with it's power for the motors and be able to be operated as a stand alone. Does that make sense?

A. If desiring to power the ST6001 from the autopilot course computer, then all three leads of the SeaTalk cable connecting the ST6001 to the autopilot course computer would need to be connected.
06-28-16, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-16 12:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok I'm back.

Here is what I did, I hooked up the ST6001 within 2 feet of the power source feeding the STNG converter. No difference still the same issue on battery power.

However, I tend to agree that the batteries may have reached their useful life and was part of the problem. As i said the ST6001 worked when the engine was running at the dock. Taking the boat out and going to anchor it ran fine until I operated the windlass and then got a sea talk fail immediately.

So i next replaced the batteries with brand new 405 amp hour bank. Leaving the ST6001 head close to the power source as indicated above. I still exhibited the same sea talk fail when operating on battery only.

Lastly, I switched out the ST6001 head with a new P70 head hooked up to the STNG network and it worked. (at least at the dock) I left it on all night on battery power and no seatalk fail. I have not sea trialed it yet but I am hoping I have it solved

Conclusion, I have been suspecting my batteries were old and worn out so replacing them was on the menu

Seems the ST6001 control head has reached it's useful life.

So thanks for the help and if I need anything further I''l be back
06-29-16, 12:26 PM
dkritter,

Q1: it ran fine until I operated the windlass and then got a sea talk fail immediately.
A1: As indicated, an under-powered SeaTalk bus will cause a SeaTalk Fail. The symptom which you have described within this statement is indicative of a marine electronics system which has not been properly isolated from the vessel's other high power consuming devices. Please click here to view a FAQ in which I had addressed such isolation.

Q2: Lastly, I switched out the ST6001 head with a new P70 head hooked up to the STNG network and it worked. (at least at the dock) I left it on all night on battery power and no seatalk fail. I have not sea trialed it yet but I am hoping I have it solved.
A2: See the response to Q1. Until proper isolation of the marine electronics has been provided, an event such as you described in Q1 may result in a system communications failure or restart in the future.