Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMEA 0183
07-29-17, 10:45 AM
NMEA 0183
I have just changed out my old Northstar GPS monitor for the Raymarine a98 MFD. The Northstar sent GPS coordinates to a Simrad Autopilot AP11 via a Robertson J300X terminal. It also sent GPS coordinates to the VHS radio.

I have connected the aSeries to the SeaTalk and the SeaTalk to an Actisense NGW-1 NWEA converter 0813 to 2000. The lights are flashing on the NGW-1. However the Autopilot and radio both say "no signal" for the GPS coordinates.

Are there any settings that I need to do on the a98 series? What can I check to see if the GPS signal is coming over to the Robertson junction box and the radio?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-17, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-17 01:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: NMEA 0183
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum ReelAttitudeBDA,

Actisense offers a NMEA 0183 to PC communications interface (Opto-4 w/USB-1) and the NMEA Reader PC application to perform such checks. Alternatively, for testing purposes, you may interface the NMEA 0183 output leads of the NGW-1 (white & blue) to one pair of NMEA 0183 input leads found on the MFD's Power/NMEA0183/Video Input Cable. The MFD's diagnostics feature may then be used to monitor the NMEA 0183 receive (RX) buffer to determine which sentences are being received via the NMEA 0183 port which you have temporarily interfaced the NGW-1.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply