Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eS98 hangs with both Micro SD cards inserted
08-10-17, 01:30 PM
eS98 hangs with both Micro SD cards inserted
Hi,

We just recently installed brand new set of eS98 with CPT-120 and Quantum radar on the boat.
Our customer is complaining about subject issue.
MFD is working fine with only chart's Micro SD inserted to any slot. And it hangs forever after inserting Micro SD to second slot, until being restarted (long press on power button). It's happening after some undefined time, 1-60 minutes from insertion of the card.
Yes, of course, he bought best of the best brand new class 10 Micro SD card from SanDisk, it's formatted as FAT32. Then he took a couple of others brands/class/price/quality. Issue is the same with all of them.
We have opened warranty case and received new display. I brought it to the customer. Checked new display with same dual cards inserted, but using mine card, which I use for MFDs upgrading. And found received display hanged as previous one.
For some reason, display came with previous software version, so I decided to reboot it with both inserted cards. And whole upgrade process passed fine, without hanging or error messages. So, look like hardware of the MFD is fine.
Do you have any advice how to help the customer?

Best regards,
Ivan.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-17, 11:35 AM
RE: eS98 hangs with both Micro SD cards inserted
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ivan,

What is the capacity of each of the microSD memory cards purchased? What version of software is presently installed within the MFDs?
08-22-17, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-17 02:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Capacity is 4,8,32Gb
Installed latest version v.19.03 from here - http://www.raymarine.co.uk/view/?id=3764
08-22-17, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-17 08:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ivan,

As the microSD memory cards appear to satisfy the recommendations specified for the MFD, I am concerned about the data stored on these microSD memory cards. Please use a computer to list the details of the root level directory of one of the microSD memory cards, perform a screen capture, save the image as a .jpg file, and attach it to this thread for further analysis. Please do this for all microSD memory cards. Please additionally specify whether the MFD's Sonar Logging feature has been configured ON.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1233]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-22-17, 04:16 PM
Attached the screenshots from my PC with MicroSD contents and saved files from eS98.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-23-17, 08:30 AM
Ivan,

Please respond to my earlier request regarding the Sonar Logging feature. Please additionally examine the microSD memory card's properties to determine the percentage utilization of the microSD memory card's memory.
08-29-17, 10:50 AM
Sorry for late response.

I have first MFD in the office, but unfortunately we can't test it with transducer in the office to turn on Sonar Logging feature.
MicroSD memory card's properties shown almost empty, as it's new, or even freshly FAT32 formatted of used ones. Also all others tried are almost empty.
08-29-17, 01:05 PM
Ivan,

My prior response was not intended to ask that you test the system with the Sonar Logging feature turned ON, but rather to inquire whether you had been using it.

Given the symptoms and actions taken thus far (i.e. testing with other microSD memory cards and replacing the MFD), it may be possible that the Chart card is responsible the reported symptoms. What kind of cartography is being used with the MFD? Have you tried replacing the customer's chart card?
08-29-17, 01:14 PM
Yes, we have tried to use another chart card from our demo display. Got same issue. It's Navionics (Canada coverage).
08-29-17, 01:16 PM
Ivan,

As we have been unable to duplicate the reported problem, it is recommended that the problematic MFD along with the chart card and microSD memory card be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.