Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
p70 Heading of 180 degrees
03-24-16, 06:11 PM
p70 Heading of 180 degrees
Hello, just powered up the p70 and ACU but the p70 is about 180 degrees off. I mounted the EV1 with the arrow facing forward. Is that not correct or what?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-16, 08:01 AM
RE: p70 Heading of 180 degrees
The new Evolution autopilot system does not have a specific Seatrial calibration, you are to do the Dockside Wizard, then take the boat out for a 15-20 minute cruise, doing a few circles and figure 8's to show the system all the points on the compass rose, keeping the speed between 3-15 knots. While out on the water, press Menu>Setup>Diagnostics>About Pilot, scroll to the very bottom of the page to look at the Deviation. If it is within 15 degrees, you are done. Restart compass is used to drop the Deviation in the system and have the heading sensor start over calibrating the Deviation, shouldn't be used unless you are relocating the EV-1 heading sensor. Compass Lock, is to lock the heading sensor to the current Deviation in the unit, I would recommend that you lock the compass once you have the autopilot functioning the way you want it, usually after a couple of trips where you use the autopilot and it is functioning properly, because the heading sensor is always learning, trying to get a better deviation on the heading and learning the movement of the vessel for better course correction. Once you Lock Compass it stops the learning process and holds the settings that it has for the vessel.
03-25-16, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-16 08:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok, I did sevearl circles and figure 8s for about an hour. Deviation is at 34 and compass seems to be off by 5-8 degrees magnetic. Now what?
03-25-16, 09:12 PM
mswanicke,

The reported maximum deviation value is quite high, indicating that the EV-1 Sensor Core is experiencing a significant magnetic field in its present location. The EV-1 Sensor Core should be located at least three feet from anything constructed of ferrous materials (ex. engine block, refrigerator, tools, etc.), anything constructed of magnetic materials (ex. electric motors, speakers, etc.) other electronics, and high current carrying cables. After locating a more suitable location for the EV-1 Sensor Core permitting it to sense a much lower maximum deviation, the vessel should once again be taken for a short boat ride. Should newly reported maximum deviation now be less than 15 degrees the heading still be in error, then the heading error may adjusted by either rotating the EV-1 Sensor Core within its mount or using the Compass Offset feature (see section 5 (page 4) of the Evolution Autopilot Set-up and Commissioning with p70/p70R guide) supported by the p70/p70R Autopilot Control Head. Up to 9.9 degrees of EV-1 Sensor misalignment may offset via the p90/p90R's Heading Offset feature.
03-25-16, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-16 05:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
During the test ride, there were a few large metal hull vessels (container ships and steel hull barges) in the area, maybe 1/4 mile away. Would these vessels have an impact on the EV1 sensor?

The EV1 sensor is mouthed below the helm pedestal which I believe is aluminum.
03-26-16, 05:39 AM
It is highly doubtful that another vessel would be responsible for the reported deviation. It is recommended that the EV-1 Sensor Core be relocated and the you ensure that fasteners used to secure it to vertical bulkhead be manufactured non-ferrous material (check with a magnet before installing).
03-26-16, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-16 08:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I noticed the software version is 1.11 for the p70. Should I update the software and repeat seatrial before relocating the EV1 sensor?
03-26-16, 08:41 PM
mswanicke,

As with most electronics, should you not already have done so, then it is recommended that the software levels of each of the electronics products (in this case, the EV-1 Sensor Core, p70/p70 Autopilot Control Head and ACU) be checked to ensure that they have been updated with the latest software updates before troubleshooting a problem. Should the problem then be reproduced after the software within the system's components have been updated, then the recommendations specified within this thread should be followed to address the symptoms reported with your autopilot.
03-29-16, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-16 01:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I relocated the EV1 sensor about 3" forward. Deviation is now at 22. Is this deviation correctable or should I relocate again?
03-30-16, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-16 01:09 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
mswanicke,

Per Steve's initial response, is it recommended that the EV-1 Sensor Core be installed in a location yielding deviation of no more than 15 degrees. Correspondingly, it is recommended that the EV-1 be relocated well away from its present installation location.