Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Electronics Upgrade
04-05-18, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-18 09:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Electronics Upgrade
Hello,

I have a 2003 Regal 3880.
40’ long, 13’ beam.
Steering cylinder = 10.2 cubic inches.

I am planning to upgrade my electronics as follows:
Axiom Pro 12 S w/NAG E70482-00-NAG
CPT-S Bronze 20 degree transducer E70341
Quantum Chirp Radar T70243
Ray 70 VHF
Cam 220 Marine camera E70347
Indicator E70327
Auto Pilot —either—
EV-200 T70156
EV-150 T70330
My system diagram is attached.
Questions:
1. Any corrections needed on the diagram.
2. Auto Pilot. EV-150 or EV-200. I plan to use the existing type 1 pump and rudder reference.
3. Camera. What cable is needed? Does the camera need it’s own 12 V power source.
4. Can I display engine data from 2003 Volvo gas engines?
Thanks for your help.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Scanned Documents.pdf (Size: 179.76 KB / Downloads: 461)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-18, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-18 09:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Electronics Upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Joe,

Q1. Any corrections needed on the diagram.
A1. Your diagram is off to a pretty good start with the following exceptions.
- the CAM220 features an Ethernet communications interface, not a SeaTalkng / NMEA 0183 communications interface and accordingly must be must be interfaced to a MFD's Ethernet (RayNet) communications interface or to an Ethernet network switch (ex. HS5 RayNet Network Switch).
- Axiom Pro S 12 features a pair of Ethernet communications interfaces, its remaining Ethernet communications interface will be used to interface the CAM200 to the system.
- The CAM220 may be powered from a switched 12VDC power circuit as specified above. Should this option be chosen, then the CAM220 would be interfaced to the MFD via an assembly constructed from a R32142 Waterproof Ethernet Coupler and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M)Cable.

Alternatively, the CAM220 may not only communicate through, but be powed through its Ethernet interface. To do so, a R32141 PoE Injector or via a FLIR 414102 PoE Switch will be used. The PoE Injector or PoE Switch will be interfaced to a switched 12 or 24 VDC power circuit. The PoE socket of the PoE Injector or PoE Switch will be interfaced to the CAM220 via an assembly constructed from a R32142 Waterproof Ethernet Coupler and a R32140 RJ45 to RJ45 (M) Cable. The unpowered socket of the PoE Injector or PoE Switch will be interfaced to the MFD's Ethernet interface via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M) Cable.

Q2. Auto Pilot. EV-150 or EV-200. I plan to use the existing type 1 pump and rudder reference.
A2. Noted. Should the pump be a 24V pump, then the EV-200 must be used. If the pump is a 12V pump, then either of the EV-150 or EV-200 will be satisfactory.

Q3. Camera. What cable is needed? Does the camera need it’s own 12 V power source.
A3. See the response to Q1.

Q4. Can I display engine data from 2003 Volvo gas engines?
A4. Depending upon the specific make/model of engines, the MFD may be interfaced to the engines via a Raymarine ECI-100 Engine Gateway, a Fox Marine Engine Gateway(s), a Volvo engine gateway(s), or an analog engine to NMEA 2000 gateway(s). Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The engine gateway(s) will be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
04-05-18, 11:28 AM
I will use your first suggestion for the camera connection.
However, my diagram shows the 2nd NET connection on the MFD being used for the Radar data cable.
Should I connect the Radar to the backbone (as a spur) instead?
For the Auto Pilot -- the boat is a 12V system. Is there any other difference between the EV-150 and the EV-200?
04-05-18, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-18 12:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Joe,

Q1. I will use your first suggestion for the camera connection.
A1. Noted.

Q2. However, my diagram shows the 2nd NET connection on the MFD being used for the Radar data cable. Should I connect the Radar to the backbone (as a spur) instead?
A2. Negative. The Axiom Pro S 12 MFD features a pair of Ethernet communications ports and a NMEA 2000 communications port. The Digital Radar Cable will be interfaced to one of the MFD's Ethernet communications ports, and the CAM220 will be interfaced to the MFD's other Ethernet communications port.

Q3. For the Auto Pilot -- the boat is a 12V system. Is there any other difference between the EV-150 and the EV-200?
A3. Both are capable of being used. The EV-200 is simply a heavier design.
04-05-18, 12:19 PM
Don't I need to use one of those ports to connect to the backbone?
04-05-18, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-18 12:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Joe,

Q. Don't I need to use one of those ports to connect to the backbone?
A. Negative. Per my last response, The Axiom Pro S 12 MFD features a pair of Ethernet communications ports and a NMEA 2000 communications port. The MFD's NMEA 2000 port will be used to interface the MFD to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
05-10-18, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-18 09:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
I have installed the system described above.
So far, it has gone very well.
Two questions . . .
1. I 'tested' the CPT-S transducer in a bucket of water.
It reads 39'.
Also, I don't see where the water temperature is displayed.
Is the transducer working properly?
2. I am planning to reuse the rudder reference from the prior system.
The old course computer was a Raymarine 150G AST.
Is this compatible with my new unit?
Thanks,
Joe
05-10-18, 10:16 AM
Joe,

Q1a. I 'tested' the CPT-S transducer in a bucket of water. It reads 39'.
A1a. Depth transducers cannot be properly tested in water depth's which are less than 3'. CPT-S transducer failures are quite rare. I suggest that the transducer be suspended over the side of the hull while the boat is in the water where the depth of the water beneath the transducer will be at least 3'

Q1b. Also, I don't see where the water temperature is displayed.
A1b. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q1c. Is the transducer working properly?
A1c. Please review the responses to Q1a and Q1b ... I have no reason to believe that the transducer is malfunctioning at this time.

Q2. I am planning to reuse the rudder reference from the prior system. The old course computer was a Raymarine 150G AST. Is this compatible with my new unit?
A2. Yes.
05-10-18, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-18 03:43 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the quick response.
I won't be able to follow your advice for Q1A because the transducer is 'through hull'.
So, I will proceed with the final install.
I will try customizing the MFD as mentioned for the water temperature.
Just to clarify . . . please confirm that the CPT-S does have water temperature capability.
Thanks,
Joe
05-10-18, 03:55 PM
Joe,

Q1. please confirm that the CPT-S does have water temperature capability.
A1. All CPT-S transducers feature a thermistor to support sensing water temperature.