Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(DG) i60 Wind vs i70s + iTC-5
10-31-18, 08:42 AM
RE: (DG) i60 Wind vs i70s + iTC-5
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your enquiry.

Please could you just confirm the voltages at the mast base? Since if the voltages there are correct, the issue is either the cable through the boat or what the cable is plugged in to.

You indicate you have an i60, is the masthead Tx not connected to the i60 direct? Can you identify the Wind Tx connections to the itc-5? What is the status of the green LED next to the wind Tx connections inside the itc-5?

Thanks
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-18, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 10-31-18 10:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Derek, thanks for your quick reply. I have confirmed voltages at ITC5 and “yellow” is 3.00+\- indicating good wind speed from Tx. Green led is steady on. We did have a nearby lightning strike when reading disappeared but are confused by only a single failure and the whereabouts of the fault. All other ITC5 readings are working fine. I thick I have included a schematic of our set up.
10-31-18, 11:50 AM
Hi Bill,

A nearby lightning strike can have many odd effects, we have seen complete failure of components, through to isolated Microprocessor failure where there are partial elements that have suffered static damage and appear to work, but eventually fail.

It sounds like the itc-5 has suffered due to the close proximity discharge and should be replaced.

Regards
Derek
10-31-18, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-18 03:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks, Derek. That was my guess, fortunately the ITC5 is the least expensive of all the components.
11-01-18, 05:00 AM
Hi Bill,

A couple of things to check too - make sure the mast is grounded - not to battery 0volts but to a decent ground and use flat copper strip to ground it, this works best in cases where there is a lot of local static caused by lightning. Also make sure toe rails, stanchions etc are all similarly grounded too and this will improve protection. Bear in mind though that mother nature is so powerful, that there is very little than can be done to completely protect the boat, but grounding as suggested will help.

ESD (Electro static Discharge) is a complex subject and many books and conflicting opinions are written about it, the suggestions above are made on experience gathered over the years of supporting cruisers worldwide.

kind regards
Derek
11-01-18, 06:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-18 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks again Derek,
My boat FYI, a Norseman 447, has a complete grounding system- All metal on the boat is bonded together. Not sure it helped but again there are many schools of thought on this subject. A pleasure talking with you.
Bill
11-06-18, 05:16 AM
Hi Bill,

You're welcome
Thanks
Derek
11-09-18, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-18 08:58 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
FYI. New iTC5 installed and speed is BACK!
11-09-18, 08:59 AM
Hi Bill,

Excellent news! glad to be of help.
All the best
Derek