Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] System Upgrade - Look Right?
05-03-18, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-18 02:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] System Upgrade - Look Right?
Upgrading the system on my 2006 Sea Ray 340. Just need to know if this looks correct:

Current System:
Mercury Marine Vessel View
Raymarine C80
Raymarine Radar
Raymarine DSM 300
Raymarine ST 6001
Raymarine SG2
Raymarine Rotary Rudder Sensor (M81105)
Raymarine Fluxgate Compass (81190)
Autopilot Drive Systm

Proposed System:
Mercury Marine Vessel View (Remains)
Raymarine Axiom 9 RV (Delete C80, DSM 300 and associated Transducer)
Raymarine RV220
Raymarine Quantum 2 Q24D Radar (Delete Raymarine Radar)
Keep Entire Autopilot System Consisting of:
Raymarine ST 6001
Raymarine SG2
Raymarine Rotary Rudder Sensor (M81105)
Raymarine Fluxgate Compass (81190)
Autopilot Drive System

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-18, 02:38 PM
RE: [CA] System Upgrade - Look Right?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Thebobman,

Your diagram is off to a good start, however the following changes must be made:
- the autopilot may not be interfaced to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone as your diagrams shows. SeaTalk devices must be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit which will be installed as a backbone component. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

- It is a best practice to power the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via a switched 12VDC power circuit which has been interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
05-07-18, 05:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-18 10:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Made the changes you suggested, plus a few more. If I am successful can you let me know if it looks good?

05-07-18, 10:55 AM
Thebobman,

Your diagram looks good. I would recommend adding a note to indicate that the power lead (red) of the SeaTalk cable connecting the SeaTalk bus to the autopilot course computer should be disconnected from the red terminal of the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port. This red SeaTalk lead should be insulated to prevent shorting.
05-15-18, 10:37 AM
Have an odd question on my project. I am surface mounting the Axiom 9RV and the Axiom 7. The 9 is fine, but the cover for the 7 seems to be designed to clip to the housing, not the unit itself. The housing gets removed and is used as the back side of the "sandwich" to hold it in place. The cover is now too big to snap in place. Is tehre a different cover? Hate to leave it exposed...
05-15-18, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-18 12:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thebobman,

To be clear, which of the mounting methods shown below will you be employing:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1859]

08-19-18, 01:35 PM
Things went well...all is communicating properly. One more, maybe last, question. The Vessel View no longer receives GPS info, I suppose because there is nothing sending that info any longer. Is the proper way to get that info to set up an actisense gateway and tie in to Seatalk Backbone?
08-20-18, 08:21 AM
Thebobman,

As Axiom MFDs do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, should the VesselView system require 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 GPS data alone (latitude, longitude, SOG, COG), then it should be possible to install an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit to accommodate supplying the VesselView system with this data.