Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Compatibility with older transucers and displays
08-03-18, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 08-13-18 03:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Compatibility with older transucers and displays
Hi,

I have upgraded to a new Evolution autopilot, ACU 200, P70s control head, EV-1, connected to an e7D MFD and older ST290 transducers DPU and displays.

My boat is from 2006, and has been updated to suit the E7D MFD with a ST-STng converter before I have added the evolution autopilot.

I The autopilot functions very well except for the clucht currently remaining engaged even when the autopilot is on standby. I am currently investigating if this.

Additionally since removing the older 6001 autopilot with fluxgate compass, U have lost the possibility to display heading on the ST290 displays.

is there a diagram that coudl show me how the ST290 DPU and transducers need to be connected into the STng bus to ensure that heading data from the EV-1 can still be displayed on the ST290's?

thanks, Russell.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-18, 05:01 AM
RE: [DG11] Compatibility with older transucers and displays
Hi Russell,

Thank you for your enquiry,

It sounds like you have retained the original drive unit and updated the electronics? If this is correct, then it is possible the clutch is sticking in the drive unit.

Completely disconnect the clutch connection from the ACU200, then energise the clutch by temporarily connecting the two clutch wires from the drive to 12v - the drive always uses a 12v clutch supply, even on 24v boats.

If the clutch remains engaged when the 12v power is removed, then I would suspect a mechanical issue inside the drive unit, either there is some fault in the mechanism which allows the clutch coil to slide to and fro. or more likely there is some foreign substance on the clutch faces, which is literally causing them to stick together.

If the clutch operates fine, then check the ACU 200 is not still outputting 12v on the clutch output - it would be very unlikely for the ACU200 to be faulty in this way, but also worth checking.

The ST290 should be connected to STng by connecting the SeaTalk 1 part of the ST290 to a SeaTalk to STng converter and connecting the STng part of the converter to the STng network that connects the new EV pilot and e7D. The SeaTalk2 part of ST290 is very different to the current STng and so we do not recommend connecting SeaTalk2 from ST290 to STng.

regards

Derek
05-19-19, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-19 12:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek,

Thanks for your previous response. Regarding the clutch issue, this turned out to be the drive unit, all now works well.

I do still have an issue with my ST290 displays no longer giving the option for heading displayed since changing to the EV1 autopilot setup.

There is a STng converter in place between the ST290 DPU + all the older transducers and the newer a7d mfd and autopilot.

Do I still need the DPU to support the old transducers and mast displays?

Will the ST290 displays and DPU use the heading data from the EV1 ?

I also currently have an issue with the wind transducer now not being visible or sending data. I have checked the voltages at the pod;
Sheild - red 7.98 V
Sheild - yellow 4.6 V
Sheild - blue. 39.6 mV
Sheild - green 33.3 mV

Does this mean the transducer is done?

Regards,
Russell
05-22-19, 10:44 AM
Hi Russell,

The ST290 dpu is the unit that provides all the calculated data to the ST290 large displays, if you do not use those calculated functions, then the DPU can be removed and use the SeaTalk one part of the network connected through the Converter to the STng equipment.

The voltage readings from the masthead Tx suggests that the unit is failed, or there is an issue with the mast cable or connection block at the top of the mast

Thanks
Derek