Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] adding a67 MFD to existing Seatalk network
08-15-18, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-18 01:40 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] adding a67 MFD to existing Seatalk network
I recently acquired an a67 MFD and would like to integrate it into my existing seatalk system. Currently, I have a SmartPilot X-5, ST6002 Controller, ST60+ Wind, ST40 Speed and ST40 Depth that are all networked using ST1. Since the a67 MFD and the SPX-5 both use STNG, I believe that I need to upgrade the Seatalk system to STNG and use a ST1-STNG Converter to integrate all of the older components that are not STNG compatible.

The diagram attached shows my intended network plan. Assuming that I do not intend to add any more components in the near future, is this the best layout for the system that will allow me to use the SmartPilot to its maximum effect (i.e. driving to wind angle)?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide as I have read too much trying to plan the upgrade.

Tom

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Seatalk Layout.pdf (Size: 214.26 KB / Downloads: 241)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-18, 01:47 PM
RE: [CA11] adding a67 MFD to existing Seatalk network
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

The diagram which you have shown is partially correct. The ST6xxx autopilot control head will not support all required communications with the autopilot course computer when interfaced to the system via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Accordingly, the autopilot control head should be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus which is connected to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's SeaTalk socket. Instead, the SeaTalk bus which is connected to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's SeaTalk socket will only be used to interface the instruments instruments to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The ST6xxx autopilot control head will be interfaced to the SPX autopilot's SeaTalk port via an appropriate length of SeaTalk cable. After completing the installation, care should be taken to ensure that the MFD, autopilot course computer and ST-STng Converter have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply