Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] MFD Bezel Trim Adapters for C80 cutout
09-26-18, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-18 02:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] MFD Bezel Trim Adapters for C80 cutout
I want to upgrade from my C80 MFD. It is mounted in a Nav Pod. I do not want to buy a new Nav Pod, but I do want the installation to look professional.

After researching the available Raymarine MFD options, I find the availability of bezel trim adapters is incomplete and puzzling.

Specifically, I have found bezels available for the the Axiom 9 and for the e95 MFDs. The problem for me with the Axiom is I need a hybrid that has buttons/dial. Further, the e95 MFD is no longer available to purchase except used on eBay. It is also 2 generations back from the current MFDs and it is not compatible with the Quantum 2 Q24D radar that I want.

The MFDs that I am interested in are the Es97 and the Axiom Pro 9.

Questions: Are bezel trim adapters available for the Es97 and Axiom Pro 9, and if so, what are the part numbers and sources? If no, why are they available for the e95 (no longer sold) but not available for any current hybrid MFDs?

Thanks,

Jim Pravel, USCG Master
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-18, 01:12 PM
RE: MFD Bezel Trim Adapters for C80 cutout
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jim,

As you have indicated, the eS9x MFD and Axiom Pro 9 MFD share the same mounting template. Unfortunately, Raymarine does not offer an adapter plate for replacing a C80/E80 MFDs with either and eS9x MFD or with an Axiom Pro 9 MFD. In situations involving pods where an adapter plate is not offered, replacing the pod (or the pod's front face alone) or commissioning a machine shop to fabricate custom adapter plate for the replacement MFD would typically be the only options for those seeking to not cover the face of the pod with a thin sheet of starboard, aluminum plate, or other suitable material. Replacing the pod (or pod's front face) will also provide the most factory appearance to the new installation.

Should one desire mounting templates to support fabrication of an adapter plate, these may be located within Raymarine's Product Documentation web pages.
09-26-18, 02:19 PM
RE: [CA11] MFD Bezel Trim Adapters for C80 cutout
Thank you for your prompt reply Chuck,

Why are trim adapters available for the e95 (no longer sold) but not available for the Axiom 9 Pro or the ES97?

I realize I can fashion a cover plate out of starboard or other material, or I can buy a new Nav Pod so that the installation looks professional, but isn't the reason for a trim adapter so that the user/installer does not have to do either of those things?

Best regards, Jim Pravel
09-26-18, 03:22 PM
RE: [CA11] MFD Bezel Trim Adapters for C80 cutout
Jim,

Q. Why are trim adapters available for the e95 (no longer sold) but not available for the Axiom 9 Pro or the ES97?
A. While both the C-Series Classic MFDs and e-Series MFDs (not to be confused with the E-Series Classic MFDs or E-Series Widescreen MFDs) are longer being produced, the C-Series Classic MFDs were discontinued within Raymarine's product offering much longer ago than were the e-Series MFDs. Like other businesses, decisions regarding whether to produce products are based upon the expected demand, needs of the business, etc. The line needs to be drawn somewhere. In this case, it was expected that a sufficient number of c9x/e9x MFD owners would be upgrading with Axiom Pro 9 MFDs to build a sufficient business case to justify the offering of adapter plates for the c9x/e9x MFDs to Axiom Pro 9 MFDs. Similarly, it was expected a sufficient number of C80/E80 MFD owners would be upgrading with Axiom MFDs to build a sufficient business case to justify the offering of adapter plates for the C80/E80 MFDs to Axiom 9 MFDs. However, it apparently was not expected that a sufficient number of C80/E80 MFD owners would be upgrading with Axiom Pro MFDs to build a sufficient business case to justify the offering of adapter plates for the C80/E80 MFDs to Axiom Pro 9 MFDs.