Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] e95 MFD won't boot
09-26-18, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-18 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] e95 MFD won't boot
I installed an e95 MFD along with an EV-100, and i70 and i50 instruments this spring. I updated all the software during the installation. All have worked well, until recently when the e95 started to be very slow to boot up. Now I can’t get it to boot. I have not changed or added anything on the network.

There’s a weak beep when I press the e95 power button, but the display does not change. I’ve tried cycling the power at the circuit breaker to no effect. I measured the voltage to the e95 at the terminal block inside my NavPod at 12.9 Volts.

Should I send the e95 in for repair?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-18, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-18 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] e95 MFD won't boot
Hello John,

The supply reaching the display under load might be quite different from what you measure at end of the cable, and that symptom does sound very like what we'd expect from a supply restriction, e.g. corroded contact in the fuse-holder or similar, so we always recommend testing with a load on the display end of the power cable (e.g. a small motor or lamp) to see that you still get 12.9V when current is drawn.

It's also a good idea to remove the chart card and all cables except power, in case one of those is causing the problem: that's not unknown.

If the supply is 12+ volts under load and the same thing happens with no chart card or accessories connected then that does sound like a display problem and I'd get it back to your nearest Raymarine service site.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
10-01-18, 06:57 PM
Tom,
Last Friday, I went to run the checks you suggested, and the e95 MFD worked fine. I could power it on and off and it booted every time. I went sailing on Saturday and it would not boot even after removing the chart card.
Today I opened the NavPod and measured 12.49 V with no load and 11.88 V driving a 10 watt bulb. Is that too much of a voltage drop? If so, do I need to run a larger gauge wire from the circuit breakers to the NavPod? If not, should I send the e95 in for repair?
John
10-03-18, 11:23 PM
Hello John,

A voltage drop of around 0.6V from the no-load state when a 10W load is applied implies that you'll get around 1.2V - 1.5V drop when the e95's 18W load is applied, which is a lot and much more that you ought to have, but still leaves the e95 likely to have at least 11V, which is far from ideal but should be enough. Product reliability and speed drops as the supply gets marginal, but it should start up.

Based on that info, I think you should get the display checked at a service centre or by your nearest technical dealer. How to buy > Locate a Dealer on our website will show dealers near you, though different Raymarine offices around the world indicate Service dealers slightly differently: here in Australia we use the Certified Installation check-box.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.