Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] dual autopilots
10-17-18, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-18 08:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] dual autopilots
I'm installing 2 complete ACU-400, p70r5, ev-1 autopilots each with a type 3 linear hydraulic. I plan to use a power relay to switch between units. I will only have one ev-1 sensor plugged into seatalk. Will there be a problem have two control heads connected to seatalk at the same time? Do you see any other problems with this arrangement?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-18, 09:01 AM
RE: [CA11] dual autopilots
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum shparrot,

As with past Raymarine autopilot designs, it is indeed possible to interface more than autopilot control head to an Evolution autopilot. In fact, it is considered to be a best installation practice to install an autopilot control head at each steering station. In the case to Evolution autopilots, one would simply interface each control head as a spur to the marine electronic system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

As long as only one ACU is ever seen by the system, then having a second ACU within the system should not be an issue. In a simple test performed at my desk, it appears that the ACU will not be seen by the system when the circuit which is supplying it with power has been switched OFF. In such a system, it would be recommended that the backbone be powered via a SeaTalkng Power cable (connected to dedicated / switched 12V power circuit) which has been connected to a spur socket within the backbone. In such cased, the SeaTalkng Power switch would be configured to the OFF position on each ACU.
10-17-18, 04:32 PM
Thanks. Don't know why but I've always powered my sea talk of an independent breaker so sounds good.
10-18-18, 08:29 AM
You're welcome.