Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raymarine A-Series for Dummies? (HELP!)
05-04-16, 05:06 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-16 09:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Raymarine A-Series for Dummies? (HELP!)
I'm not new to boating, but very new to current technology electronics. I have 2 major issues with my 1-year old Raymarine a98 (& a simple question). (My last was a third party depth-finder in the '80's on a smaller boat)

1) Not sure if there's a setting off or what, but I can't get the display to show "head up" in the "head up" mode. My brother had an a120 and he tried once and also couldn't get it to leave "north up". He said it worked fine on his boat.

2) I finally got a Navionics Platinum+ card (Santa) and loaded it last week. It works and looks fine on the computer, but doesn't show close to shore depths when selected on the MFD. When I zoom out, it shows what appears to be 21 feet in areas I know to be around 5-6 feet. Not sure if the card is all messed up or if I just have no clue what I'm doing.

3) There are 2 slots that look like they are for micro SD cards. Are they both the same or is the lower slot something different? (I couldn't put a card in the lower slot)

Sorry to ask when you might want to say "read the manual", but read through a bit and didn't find my answers. My time is very limited so I'm hoping for some help to get "pointed in the right direction".

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-16, 12:41 PM
RE: Raymarine A-Series for Dummies? (HELP!)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

Q1) Not sure if there's a setting off or what, but I can't get the display to show "head up" in the "head up" mode. My brother had an a120 and he tried once and also couldn't get it to leave "north up". He said it worked fine on his boat.
A1) Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2) I finally got a Navionics Platinum+ card (Santa) and loaded it last week. It works and looks fine on the computer, but doesn't show close to shore depths when selected on the MFD. When I zoom out, it shows what appears to be 21 feet in areas I know to be around 5-6 feet. Not sure if the card is all messed up or if I just have no clue what I'm doing.
A2) It is recommended your MFD be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. After doing so, it is recommended that a System Settings Reset (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->SYSTEM SETTINGS RESET) be performed to restore your MFD to its default settings. Along with defaulting the system's other settings, each of the MFD's Chart application page/panes will be defaulted to viewing Navionics Nautical Charts. Your Navionics Platinum Plus chart card should then be inserted into either of your MFD's microSD memory card reader slots. Do not insert any other Navionics chart cards (ex. Nav+ card) into the MFD's other microSD memory card reader slot. Open a page containing Chart application pane, center the Chart application over the geographic area supported by your chart card and range in to view the appropriate level of detail. Should the problem persist after having performed the items specified within this response to this question, then attach a screen snapshot of the MFD's screen to this thread for further analysis.

Q3) There are 2 slots that look like they are for micro SD cards. Are they both the same or is the lower slot something different? (I couldn't put a card in the lower slot)
A3) 9" & 12" a-Series MFDs as well as c/e/eS-Series MFDs feature two slot microSD memory card readers. Either of these memory card reader slots may be used in conjunction with a chart card or data card. When inserting a microSD memory card into the MFD's upper card slot, the card's pins should be facing downward and toward the MFD. When inserting a microSD memory card into the MFD's lower card slot, the card's pins should be facing upward and toward the MFD. When inserting a microSD memory card into the MFD's reader, the card should be gently pushed inward until an audible click is heard. When pressure is then released, the card will be locked into the reader's slot. When ejecting a microSD memory card from the MFD's reader, the card should be gently pushed inward until an audible click is heard. When pressure is then released, the card will be ejected from the MFD's reader.
09-11-16, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-16 01:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Just want to say thanks for the help. Took me a while to get the time to do it and haven't been on this forum. Much appreciated.
Steve
09-12-16, 01:37 PM
You're welcome.