Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
02-20-19, 09:58 AM
RE: [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
Chuck,

Q1. Ok, new diagram attached.
A1. The new diagram appears nearly complete with respect to Ethernet, SeaTalk, SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000, and NMEA 0183 networking. The only things which appears to be missing is the autopilot control head's connection to the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk socket. The diagram also does not address how the ST60 instruments will be interfaced to the system.

Scott: I am not going to interface the ST60 instruments to this system since my plan is to upgrade them next year anyways. The ST6001 is also already connected to the S2 Course Computer as it is. I was just going to leave that. Sound good?

Q3. For the RMK-10, I added the HS5 in the Nav Station and connected both Axiom displays to it as well as RMK-10. I will just run power wire for the RMK-10 instead of doing the FLIR POE. It is a 30' long (60' there and back run), according to the West Marine article, I should use 10/2 AWG for a 5 amp run of that length....I know the RMK-10 does not draw 5 amps...thoughts on gauge wire? I also have it running though a 1 amp fuse since I think that is the smallest....good there?
A3. The gauge of wire is a bit heavier than I would have thought necessary for the RMK-9/10. I would have thought that 12-14 gauge would have been sufficient.

Scott: 14/2 would be ok for a 60' round trip length? The length of the actual wire will be 30'. Just confirming. If it makes sense to go to 12/2 I will, but would rather save money if it is still safe.

Q5. For the HS5 I have it running through a 1 amp fuse as well with 18/2 since it is a very short run to power. Good there?
A5. Like the SeaTalkhs Network Switch which it replaced it is recommended that the circuit supplying power to HS5 RayNet Switch be protected with a 2A fuse. I would recommend using 14 or 16 gauge wire.

Scott: Same as above.....so 16/2 would work here? Again, if it is safer and better to increase to 14/2 I will.

Q6b. Is it ok to connect multiple 14 AWG drain wires together at the nav station and also the helm, then run (1) 14 AWG wire from the bundle down to the Yanmar or does each unit requiring a drain wire need to be separate?
A6b. Yes.

Scott: Just confirming....so it is ok to connect all 14 AWG leads together, then run a single 14 AWG from nav station and helm to the engine? Also what is the bet way to splice them all together then have a single line go out?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-19, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-19 01:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Scott,

Q1. The ST6001 is also already connected to the S2 Course Computer as it is. I was just going to leave that. Sound good?
A1. I don't know what "as it is" means. I would simply add its connection to your diagram to make it clear. If correctly interfaced, it should be connected to one of the S2's SeaTalk ports while the other SeaTalk port of the S2 is used to interface the S2 to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q2. 14/2 would be ok for a 60' round trip length? The length of the actual wire will be 30'. Just confirming. If it makes sense to go to 12/2 I will, but would rather save money if it is still safe.
A2. With such low power consumption, it's unlikely that 14 gauge wire would supply insufficient power to the RMK-10.

Q2. Same as above.....so 16/2 would work here? Again, if it is safer and better to increase to 14/2 I will.
A2. While 16 gauge would likely suffice, I would recommend 14 gauge as you will be using it for other applications with this installation

Q3a. Just confirming....so it is ok to connect all 14 AWG leads together, then run a single 14 AWG from nav station and helm to the engine?
A3a. Yes.

A3b. Also what is the bet way to splice them all together then have a single line go out?
A3b. Any standard method (soldered splices, terminal strips, etc.) may be used for joining drain leads.
02-25-19, 07:45 AM
Hi Chuck,

I ran everything on the boat this past weekend but realized I am not able to just connect the cable coming off the Axiom to the Seatalkng ports on the T70134 or the E22158. Just to confirm, all I would need to be able to make this connection is this part: A06083. Correct?
02-25-19, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-19 03:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Scott,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. An A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F) would be used for this purpose if not additional cable length is required join the product's NMEA 2000 Cable to a spur socket within a backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components.
03-11-19, 08:19 AM
Hi Chuck,

I now have everything connected and all is working perfectly with exception of one connection. The E70196 connection to my VHF. As seen from the attached photos of the install guides of both my VHF as well as the E70196, I am trying to connect the red and yellow wires coming from the yellow port on the E70196 to the VHF. The only leads I see on the VHF are RED (NMEA IN) and WHITE (NMEA OUT). Is this where the RED/YELLOW wires from the E70196 attach? Also, on the RED/WHITE wires on the VHF they look like a standard black power cord (like for a lamp), standard 2 wire on the outside but when stripped there are wire strands surrounding the red or white wire , not sure exactly if I should strip both the red and white internal wires or not, I assume everything gets stripped. I tried just connecting RED from the E70196 to RED on the VHF and it did not get position info.

Also, unrelated....what is best practice when having two Axiom displays for GPS. I turned the GPS off on the display in the cabin since I figured the GPS would work better from the one at the helm. Is this correct or is there a better way?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-11-19, 09:43 AM
Scott,

Q1. The only leads I see on the VHF are RED (NMEA IN) and WHITE (NMEA OUT). Is this where the RED/YELLOW wires from the E70196 attach?
A1. As shown within the VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit's instructions, the kit's NMEA 0183 OUT+ / ve+ lead will be interfaced to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN+ lead. Should the VHF radio not feature a dedicated NMEA 0183 IN- / ve- lead, then the STng Converter Kit's instructions, the kit's NMEA 0183 OUT- / ve- lead will be interfaced to the VHF radio's negative power lead, which will additionally be interfaced to battery negative. The VHF radio's NMEA 0183 OUT+ will not be used.

Q2. What is best practice when having two Axiom displays for GPS. I turned the GPS off on the display in the cabin since I figured the GPS would work better from the one at the helm. Is this correct or is there a better wa
A2. This is a completely acceptable configuration of the equipment ... particularly if the surrounding structure will adversely affect the GPS satellite signal level to MFD installed within the cabin. In installations where more than GPS data source is available to the system, the Data Sources feature of an i70, p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R or MFD may be used to select the GPS, Date/Time, and Datum source having the best GPS reception performance. The selected source will be that which will be used by the entire Raymarine system.
03-11-19, 10:39 AM
Hi Chuck,

Got it...for the negative connection, since my VHF does not have a dedicated NMEA in negative connection, I know I should connect to the negative VHF wire...this wire currently connects to a negative bus bar, can I simply connect the negative wire from the E70196 to this bus bar (instead of splicing into that wire)?
03-11-19, 10:54 AM
Scott,

Q. Can I simply connect the negative wire from the E70196 to this bus bar (instead of splicing into that wire)?
A. I would recommend that wires from the bus bar, VHF radio, and VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit be spliced to one another rather than as you have suggested.
03-11-19, 02:37 PM
Thanks Chuck,

I just feel I could get a more solid connection with separate ring terminals attached to a bus bar rather than trying to jam two wires into a butt connector to splice them together. Just out of curiosity, why would it be better to splice?
03-11-19, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-19 03:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Scott,

I would not recommend crimp connectors for very small wires such as NMEA 0183 leads. Should you prefer not to create soldered splices, then you may want to consider use of a commonly available euro style terminal block shown below.

[Image: 70223700.jpg]