Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] AXIOM 9 TRANSDUCER SELECTION
02-22-19, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-19 02:42 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] AXIOM 9 TRANSDUCER SELECTION
i have 2 axiom 9s hooked up with a rv100. I use 1 for gps and 1 for sounder.
I want to increase my power of the transducer to fish in 200-400mtrs of water.
I have plenty of access to install a through hull (or 2) transducer.

What components do i need to get the most out of my axioms.

someone mentioned a cp470 but with what other components
Thanks
mark
Western Australia
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-19, 07:20 PM
RE: [TG11] AXIOM 9 TRANSDUCER SELECTION
Hello Mark,

There are a lot of sounder options to go beyond the depth range that the RV sounder system can cope with, with different price/performance levels. Here are a spread of options of increasing performance and price that will work with your existing system:

1. Fit a 600W, 50kHz/200kHz non-Chirp transducer into your display(s). You can go into the display that currently has the RV100 connected via a Y-cable, or if the second Axiom is also an Axiom 9RV (not just Axiom 9) then you can connect the second transducer to the second display. Doing the latter is preferable as using a Y-cable means you'd no longer have access to the RV100's Chirp Sonar channel.
In good conditions this should give you a reasonable image in 400m of water, and depending on the required transducer type is very roughly a $500 option.

2. Fit a 1kW non-Chirp, 50/200kHz transducer to the Axiom, as above. This is very roughly a $1500 option, and will give the same sort of image as above but with better clarity and sensitivity from the larger, higher-quality transducer.

3. The same transducer as (2) but with a black-box CP370 sounder module. This will give you a similar image to (2) but much clearer and with more sensitivity in deeper water (up to 800-1000m) and poorer conditions. This adds roughly $1000 to (2).

4. Use a CP470 1kW Chirp system. This or the big brother CP570 are the system of choice for game-fishermen. There are a lot of transducer options, but typical depth performance is well over 1000m with 1kW (2kW options are also available.) With 1kW, this will be something around the $2500 mark.

Since there are so many transducer options (power, frequency bands, beam-width/bottom coverage, mounting style and product compatibility) there isn't space to go into all of them here, but if you can give me or your local dealer an idea which of the above options you favour and what transducer mounting style your boat needs (transom like the RV100?) then we can narrow things down.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
04-13-19, 02:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-19 10:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tom,
thanks for the reply.
I'm thinking of option 3. Adding the cp370 plus a 1kw tranny.
Can i run the rv100 as well as the 1kw or is that just a waste? someone told me you can get a switch to run both.

I have access to the fibreglass hull with no interference from the trailer and plenty of room on the transom. What would be the preferred transducer for either setup.

I LIKE THE CP470/370 WITH THE 1 KW TRANNY IDEA.
I HAVE GOOD ACCESS TO THE BOTTOM OF THE HULL FOR A THRU HULL AND PLENTY OF ROOM ON THE TRANSOM FOR A TRANSOM MOUNT TRANNY.
WHICH ONE IS THE BEST OPTION?

THE CARIBBEAN 2300 HAS A 24DEG DEADRISE

FIBREGLASS

SO CAN I HAVE BOTH THE NEW TRANNY AND THE RV100 CONNECTED OR JUST THE NEW TRANNY?
05-01-19, 12:29 AM
Hello Dobby,

Sorry for the delay replying.

Yes, you can 1kW as well as the 3D RV transducer, each has their own place and purpose. The RV gives great detail and spatial awareness in shallow water, whilst the 1kW gives the offshore performance. You can freely display any combination of up to 4 frequencies/channels from either transducer in a split-screen view at any one time: no need for any switch.

I always prefer through-hull faired transducers if they can be used. They tend to give the best performance at speed, and especially with the RV's 3D and SideVision, are far less likely to be blocked to the side by outboard legs.

My recommendation would be:
- RV220 split pair through-hull
- B258 through-hull faired 1kW transducer

Transom-mount are the fall-back, but as I say, they tend to be more prone to aerated, turbulent water off the transom at speed and being blocked to the side by the outboard leg (RV transducer.)

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-11-19, 01:55 AM
TOM,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm heading towards the rv220 set up.
do i need the cp 470 when running the rv100 and the rv220? or do they both plug into the axiom 9 directly in the back?
regards mark
05-13-19, 12:27 AM
Hello Mark,

You'd use either RV100 (transom-mount) or RV220 (through-hull tilted-element split pair), not both. The RV100 and RV220 produce the same results, they're just different mounting styles (http://www.raymarine.com.au/transducers/realvision/). I'm sure you know this, just wanted to be sure since you said 'and' rather than 'or' before.

Either can plug into the back of an Axiom 9 RV or Axiom 9 Pro RVX (emphasising because not all Axiom/Axiom Pro variants can connect to these transducers, you need a model with RV in the model name.)

You don't need a CP470 for any RV transducer: you only need a CP470 when using a high-power Airmar Chirp transducer.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.