Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] EV-300 compatibility with Wagner Pump
03-04-19, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-19 07:10 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] EV-300 compatibility with Wagner Pump
I have a 3 station Hynautic steering system with a 1989 vintage Furuno autopilot and Wagner PV140TR pump, which appears to be solenoid driven, having a separate high amp feed from breaker panel.
The Furuno autopilot and pump were operating well, until the ancient control head started smoking. The brain unit (similar to ACU) and pump are undamaged. I would like to replace the entire system (except pump) with an EV-300/P70R system, but not sure if possible to control the pump with EV-300. (I really don't want to open up the hydraulic lines.) I have limited documentation/specs (in PDF file-too big to load here) for the Wagner Pump unit.

Any help appreciated.

If I can make this work, I can tie in the autopilot with my existing Raymarine Chart-plotter/Radar/FishFinder using St to STng converter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-19, 07:22 AM
RE: [DG11] EV-300 compatibility with Wagner Pump
Hi Tolly40ss

Thank you for your enquiry,

In principle yes, the ACU 300 can be used to operate the solenoids of the Wagner HPU, you will need to check the spec of the solenoids and further information can be found here regarding the installation and specification.

The motor can be powered via a relay which can be switched via the bypass valve connection on the ACU300.

You would need a p70rs or p70s control head, as well as an EV1 and ACU300, there would also be a Rudder reference unit in the ACU pack that needs to be installed too.

regards
Derek
03-05-19, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-19 06:40 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK, further info: I have talked to an expert on the Wagner pump and he has indicated that the Wagner pumpset, uses a circuit board to simulate solenoids and may not be easily compatible with the sophisticatedly simple solenoid feeds of the EV-300 ACU, (or at least that I may damage the board in the process of finding the correct terminals to connect the EV-300 ACU to.) He suggests that since the Wagner is a reversing high pressure pump that I simple bypass the control box and simply connect the Motor A and Motor B terminals of the ACU on the EV-400 to the 2 feed wires going into the motor on the pumpset.

PLEASE, before I decide which to buy- the EV-400 kit or the EV-300 kit please look at the attached specs/wiring (I down-sized the file by eliminating the hydraulic portions)of the Wagner pumpset and give me your recommendation. If possible I think I might prefer the simplicity of the EV-400 concept (and yes I know how to rewire.) Thanks in advance.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Wagner Pump excerpts.pdf (Size: 953.03 KB / Downloads: 230)
03-06-19, 11:50 AM
HI Tolly40ss

Thankyou for the pumpset details.

Having reviewed the two suggestions, the simpler solution is the likely more reliable one, ignore the switching control box completely and connect the reversing motor wires direct to the MOTOR A and B connections on the ACU 400.
Thanks
Derek