Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Rate Gyro Fault on SPX10
03-08-19, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-19 10:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Rate Gyro Fault on SPX10
I have a Raymarine SPX10 with a ST70 controller. When powered up it says Rate Gyro Fault. Pressing the cancel button stops the alarm but "fault" stays in the top left corner of the display. Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-19, 10:11 AM
RE: [CA11] Rate Gyro Fault on SPX10
Jay,

The reported message is indicative of a failure within the autopilot's SPX10 autopilot course computer. It is recommended that the SPX10 autopilot course computer be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
03-12-19, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-19 03:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

I was just told that this unit is no longer supported by Raymarine. Any other ideas on who may repair them?

Thanks,
Jay
03-12-19, 03:39 PM
Jay,

I just checked with our US Repair Center's autopilot technician on this subject. Raymarine now has limited ability to repair SPX autopilot course computers due to a now incomplete set of parts. However, at the time of this response, they still had the ability to address rate gyro failures. Accordingly, it is recommended that the SPX10 autopilot course computer be sent to Raymarine’s US Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
03-12-19, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-19 07:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Could you send me the address to send it? I spoke with them today and they told me no. I contacted the NH office.

Thank you
03-13-19, 08:03 AM
Jay,

The response from the Repair Center was likely given because they don't have the parts to address all possible repairs to the SPX autopilot course computers. As indicated within my last response, they should be able to address the rate gyro failure as long as the failure is limited to the autopilot course computer's rate gyro. My initial response included a link to the Raymarine's Warranty & Repairs web page. Simply click on that link and then on the "Out of Warranty Repairs" link found on Raymarine's Warranty & Repairs web page to view the addresses for Raymarine's US Product Repair Center.
03-15-19, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-19 05:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I did speak with someone in the office today and I will be sending the controller in. Thank you Chuck.

Also if repaired is this unit compatable with a Garnin 942xs?

Jay
03-18-19, 12:46 PM
Jay,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, Raymarine does not design/manufacture its products to be compatible with any specific third party manufacturer's products. Should the third party product also have been designed to the matching standard, then there is a good chance that the third party product may be compatible with the Raymarine product. With respect to third party product integration, the NMEA 0183 communications interface of SPX autopilot course computers should be used interface the third party chartplotting products / MFDs to the autopilot. With some SPX autopilot course computers which have experienced communications issues with Garmin chartplotting products / MFDs, we have found that installing an Actisense NGW-1-ISO NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device between the system's NMEA 2000 backbone (to which the Garmin chartplotting product / MFD has been interfaced as a spur) and the SPX10's NMEA 0183 port has addressed such issues.