Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Can you add an EV1 compass to an ST7000 autopilot?
03-17-19, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-19 07:42 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Can you add an EV1 compass to an ST7000 autopilot?
I have an ST7000 autopilot, an ES78 chartplotter and a Quantum (wifi) radar system on my 43' sailboat. I have a mix of SeaTalk (NMEA183) and SeaTalkNG (NMEA2000) network connecting them all up. The chartplotter uses the compass heading from the ST7000 fluxgate compass to superimpose the radar image on the chart. Because the old ST7000 fluxgate compass isn't very accurate, I often have a mismatch between the radar image and the chart of up to 20 degrees, depending on heading. Can I add an EV1 sensor core to my system to improve the accuracy of the radar and heading data on the chartplotter, without having to replace the ST7000 autopilot control unit, which is still working OK? Simon from Lund, BC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-19, 07:48 AM
RE: [DG11] Can you add an EV1 compass to an ST7000 autopilot?
Hi sbrissend

Thank you for your enquiry.

The EV1 Sensor includes both Heading sensors and autopilot command systems and so fitting an EV1 into your current network will create a number of data conflicts with the Autopilot.

You would need to remove the existing Fluxgate and Course computer, replace these with the EV1 and appropriate ACU for your drive unit. you would also need to fir a p70s or p70Rs control unit to access the full calibration of the new Autopilot, although the existing ST7000 control unit will still enable the autopilot to be set from Standby to AUTO and to enter course changes.

Regards
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply