Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Network Setup/LEMS
03-25-19, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-19 09:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Network Setup/LEMS
Question about proper network set up and the amount of LENS:

EV1 W/ACU 150 autopilot
ES128 MFD as master with chirp sonor Raynet connected to slave E127
E70498 Quantum 2 HD Radar
Fusion MA770 Radio
Ray 260 VHF/AIS
ITC5 using speed and depth from ST60. Which also powers the backbone
Mercury Marine Smartcraft Gateway
4 back bone tees with two properly terminated
Approximately 40 feet of backbone cable
Approximately 20 feet of spur cables

With all of that on the backbone off a 10amp breaker powered by the house battery have I set up the network properly. Also have I exceeded the LEMs?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-19, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-19 09:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Network Setup/LEMS
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Sadey,

With the exception of the diagram omitting a means to power the backbone (i.e. SeaTalkng Power Cable), your system diagram appears to be fundamentally correct in detailing how these products may be interfaced. Additionally lacking from this system is an i70S/i70 Multifunction Instrument Display (MFID). The MFID is responsible for calibration, configuration of offsets, and configuration of alarms associated with transducer which have been interfaced to an iTC-5.

The LEN values for all currently manufactured Raymarine products may be found within the respective product's installation guide. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing LEN values for other products.

EV1: LEN = 1
ACU 150: LEN = 1
p70S/p70R: LEN = 3
ES128 MFD: LEN = 1
E127 MFD : LEN = 1
Fusion MA770 Radio: Contact Fusion or consult product documentation ... suspect LEN = 1
Ray 260 VHF/AIS: LEN = 1
ITC5: LEN = 3
Mercury Marine Smartcraft Gateway: Contact Mercury Marine or consult product documentation ... suspect LEN = 1

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing power circuits for marine electronics. The FAQ additionally specifies the recommended circuit protection for the SeaTalkng backbone.
03-26-19, 06:15 PM
Thank you for such a fast response! To clarify, the backbone is powered from a 10amp breaker to the power cable supplied with and attached to the ITC5. Everything powers up so I assume that this is okay? I don’t have the room anywhere for more instruments so should I disconnect the old speed wheel and depth ducer? Then use the chirp transducer only that is connected to the ES128? I understand you to say I will not get accurate info on my MFD from the old thruhulls?

Thank you again for the help.
03-27-19, 08:23 AM
Sadey,

Q1. To clarify, the backbone is powered from a 10amp breaker to the power cable supplied with and attached to the ITC5. Everything powers up so I assume that this is okay?
A1. If the backbone is being powered from a 10A breaker, then a 5A inline fuse should be installed inline with the SeaTalkng Power Cable to prevent supplying too much power to the backbone.

Q2. I don’t have the room anywhere for more instruments so should I disconnect the old speed wheel and depth ducer?
A2. You may want to consider burying an i70S/i70 Multifunction Instrument Display (MFID) somewhere onboard. Once speed has been calibrated, and any depth offset has been configured, it would not generally be necessary to access the MFID again unless changing one of these items. The speed through water data (when properly calibrated) provided by the speed transducer can maximize an Evolution autopilot's performance, particularly when operating a slow speeds and/or when subjected to leeway (current and wind).

Q3. Then use the chirp transducer only that is connected to the ES128?
A3. While this is certainly an option, having a second source of depth data onboard the vessel provides a level of redundancy and under certain conditions (most notably operation at planing speeds), the analog depth transducer may be able to provide better depth information.
03-28-19, 06:22 AM
Again thank you for all of this free help!
I will purchase the I70. It will be put it inside the helm pedestal out of sight. I think my last question will be where shall I connect the new instrument? Can I put it anywhere on the network or does the “out” of the I70 need to go directly to the ES128?

Thank you!
03-28-19, 07:44 AM
General comment. Rather than installing the i70 within the pod, I would recommend that you consider installing it somewhere below decks or within a storage location which may be easily accessed for during calibration (not necessarily by the operator, but potentially by crew or a passenger onboard who will help out with calibration).

Q. Where shall I connect the new instrument? Can I put it anywhere on the network or does the “out” of the I70 need to go directly to the ES128?
A. The i70S/i70 MFID cannot be directly interfaced to a MFD. Like the MFD, the i70/i70S MFID is designed to be interfaced to a spur socket within the system's SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. Should there not be an unused spur socket within the backbone, then an additional spur socket will need to be added.