Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] GA150 with Axiom Pro
04-15-19, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-19 03:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] GA150 with Axiom Pro
I am connecting a GA150 GPS antenna with a pair of Axiom Pro 12 MFD. There is no reception for the GA150. In the Network setup screen, the GPS source will identify both internal GPS sources from the Axiom Pro but does not see the GA150. If I connect external GPS to NMEA0138 input, the GPS is available. NO GA150. Doesn't matter which Axiom Pro I cannot the GA150 to, it does not work (the GA150 Axiom Pro is set as master). Any suggestions? Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-19, 04:03 PM
RE: [CA11] GA150 with Axiom Pro
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum charlestai,

Unlike a Raystar 150 GPS sensor (combines GPS antenna and receiver into a single product), the GA150 GPS antenna is simply a GPS antenna which is designed to deliver GPS signal to the internal GPS receiver of the MFD which it has been interfaced to. Accordingly, in system's featuring a GA150 GPS antenna, the internal GPS receiver of the MFD to which it has been interfaced would typically be chosen as the system's source for GPS, GPS Datum, and Date/Time.
07-22-19, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-19 08:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hey Chuck,

I have the same dual Axioms 12 and 7. I have a hardtop as well. Do you think the 2 are fighting each other on the internal GPS and I should buy the GS150 and install. It seemed to work fine last year when I only had the Axiom 12 installed. When I added the 7 is when I started to have issues with position. Thanks for any thoughts.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-23-19, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-19 08:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
rshhome,

When the system features more than one source of GPS data, the Data Sources feature of the system's Data Master MFD must be configured to specify which GPS source will be used for GPS data, Date/Time, and Datum. Should utilization of this feature not permit sufficient GPS signal to be received for the MFD to quickly acquire and maintain a GPS position FIX, then a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor (recommended) or GA150 Passive GPS Antenna may be added to the system. The former will be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone and will permit GPS data to the available to the system irrespective of whether the MFDs are switched ON. The latter will be connected to the GPS antenna socket of one of the system's Axiom Pro MFDs, Axiom XL MFDs, eS-Series MFDs, or gS-Series MFDs and will only permit GPS data to be available to the system when the MFD to which the GA150 has been connected is switched ON. Please note that the Axiom MFDs do not feature a socket to accept a GA150 Passive GPS antenna. As your system does not feature Axiom Pro MFDs, Axiom XL MFDs, eS-Series MFDs, or gS-Series MFDs, a GA150 Passive GPS Antenna would not be applicable and a Raytare 150 GPS Sensor would be used.
07-23-19, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-19 03:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck.... is the GPS in my 12 or 7 better than another... or either one should work the same... I’ll try that first... after that if the GA150 has to be put in I’ll do that... and that can be plugged into either unit?
07-23-19, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-19 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
rshhome,

Q1. is the GPS in my 12 or 7 better than another... or either one should work the same... I’ll try that first...
A1. The system's Data Master Axiom MFD will be interfaced to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The Raystar 150 GPS Sensor will likewise be interfaced to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a simple SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone may be constructed.

Q2. after that if the GA150 has to be put in I’ll do that... and that can be plugged into either unit?
A2. Negative. See my prior response.