Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Axiom Pro 9 Font size
05-01-19, 06:04 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-19 02:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Axiom Pro 9 Font size
Until recently I had 2x eS98 MFDs in my system. The touch screen on the cockpit installed MFD failed so this unit was swapped over to an Axiom Pro 9. This meant upgrading the entire system to Lighthouse 3, something I had hoped to avoid until the software was more mature. I was very familiar with the Lighthouse 2 software operating on the eS98 MFD and happy with its performance. Apart from the many functional deficiencies in Lighthouse 3, I find font size and line width on the Axiom Pro 9 to be much too fine to be easily read. Lighthouse 3 on the eS98 is more easily readable than on the Axiom Pro 9, but is still reduced compared to Lighthouse 2. It makes me wonder if the developers were using Axiom Pro 12 as there test unit. Maybe the font size and line widths look ok on a 12" display, but they are definitely not ok on the 9" display. Remember that a marine chart-plotter screen is meant to be easily readable under harsh conditions at sea. I was really shocked when I first powered up the new Axiom Pro 9 to see such microscopic font size and tiny AIS vessel symbols. I felt sure that there would be an option to change the font size, but alas, no. I trust that this deficiency will be addressed soon in a software update.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-19, 11:14 PM
RE: [TG11] Axiom Pro 9 Font size
Hello Chris,

Can I ask what fonts specifically you're having problems with? The Axiom Pro does have a much better (higher-resolution) screen than eS so it's possible to declutter the screen and save space by making things smaller, and I agree that the default font size for chart text is quite small, but you can make the chart text much larger and clearer using the 'Easy View' option in Chart > Menu > Settings > Layers. I've tested this on an Axiom Pro 9 and I think that it makes the text pretty clear, but if you disagree perhaps you could post a photo of the problem text so that we can review it?

Regarding line sizes: the lines we most commonly get viewability requests about are vectors, routes and tracks: you can adjust their width with the settings at the bottom of the Chart > Menu > Settings > Advanced menu.

If there's anything I've missed or you still have problems, please post back photos so that I can see the issues.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-07-19, 06:38 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-19 08:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Tom,
I have attached photos of the 2 screens. I should have set both screens to display the same chart segment, which would have made the comparison easier, but you can still see the tiny font for the depth values and general chart text on the Axiom Pro 9. The eS9x screen is really easy to read. I thought that you were referring to "Simple" view, selectable via the main Menu, which removes so much information that the chart becomes dangerous to use. I will try the "Easy View" via "Layers" to see if this is useable.
Regards,
Chris

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-08-19, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-19 08:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Tom,
Further to my previous reply, I have now tried the "Easy View" option and it is definitely an improvement on the Axiom Pro 9, particularly when the Detail level is reduced from High to Medium. However, my Axiom Pro 9 and eS98 MFDs are networked and these settings are shared, so the Easy View option results in the font becoming excessively large on the eS98 MFD. Can I make these settings specific to a particular MFD, or are they always shared?
Regards,
Chris
05-09-19, 11:35 PM
Hi Tom, I replied to your reply, but I used "Reply" rather than "New Reply" so perhaps the post did not work. I hope you get this one.
OK, I found the Easy View option - thank you - and it makes a big difference to the readability for the Axiom Pro 9, particularly if the Medium density is selected rather than High. However, I cannot set the Easy View setting just for the Axiom as this setting carries over to the networked eS98 MFD. The eS98 is fine without the Easy View and becomes way too coarse with Easy View. Is it possible to make this setting specific to each MFD?
05-13-19, 12:15 AM
Hello Chris,

The settings are common to a particular instance of the chart application (shortcut on the home screen.) If you open the same chart page on each then settings will be the same, but if you wanted separate setup then you can create two different chart page shortcuts on the homescreen, one for use on each MFD. That should give you what you're after. Often people dedicate one of the 3 'panels' of shortcuts (swipe left-right on the home screen) to each MFD in order to keep things clear.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-13-19, 04:04 AM
Excellent! I will create separate chart pages for the two types of MFD.
Thank you for your help.
Chris