Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Failing 125 GPS and E80 MFD
05-01-19, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-19 02:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Failing 125 GPS and E80 MFD
I have an E80 MFD with a failing 125 GPS receiver. I have been viewing the interface diagram that was referenced in another thread for connecting a 150 GPS to the system. I have located the R55006 Seatalk junction box and found that the 125 GPS comes straight into the R55006 junction box. (Pictures attached).

I have 2 questions:

First question: My boat doesn’t have the D244 distribution block. It worked with this arrangement up to this failure (10+ years), so I’m guessing that the distribution block isn’t required for my system. Is this a problem?

Second question: There is no power lead currently coming into the R55006 junction box. Do I still need a power lead to the new Seatalk to SeaTalkNG converter? If so, where do I pull the power from? Should it come off the same panel circuit as the rest navigation system?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-19, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-19 03:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Failing 125 GPS and E80 MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Camwhit_boc40,

General comment: For the benefit of others who may be viewing this thread, the FAQ addressing how to interface a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor to an E-Series Classic MFD may be found here.

Q1. My boat doesn’t have the D244 distribution block. It worked with this arrangement up to this failure (10+ years), so I’m guessing that the distribution block isn’t required for my system. Is this a problem?
A1. There are many ways to interface devices featuring a SeaTalk communications interfaced to one another. Use of a D224, SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction box, splices, terminals strips, etc. all may be used to to accommodate this end. In the case of your system it appears that a SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box has been used to interface the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor (white cable) to the SeaTalk bus. This cable and the sensor may be removed from the system. The E80 MFD's SeaTalk/Alarm Cable should also be unplugged from the MFD's SeaTalk/Alarm socket.

Q2. There is no power lead currently coming into the R55006 junction box. Do I still need a power lead to the new Seatalk to SeaTalkNG converter? If so, where do I pull the power from? Should it come off the same panel circuit as the rest navigation system?
A2. After uplugging the E80's SeaTalk/Alarm Cable (see the response to Q1) and powering on all marine electronics circuits onboard, voltage should be measured between the SeaTalk power (red) and SeaTalk ground (bare wire) leads/terminals inside of the SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box ... the measurement should net 0V. If not, then the source of voltage for the SeaTalk bus will need to be determined and disconnected. The SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter shown within the second diagram within the FAQ referenced above should be powered via a SeaTalkng Power Cable which has been connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit. I typically recommend that power be taken from the breaker which is supplying power the system's instruments. If supplied with a complete list of the marine electronics installed onboard the boat and which breakers are supplying power to each of these devices, then a further recommendation may be provided.
05-20-19, 05:01 PM
My instruments include the E80 MFD, ST60+ graphic display, ST60+ wind & close hauled wind instrument, ST60+ tridata instrument, wind transducer, depth transducer, and speed through water transducer, and Seatalk HS switch. There may be other devices, but I think this covers the bulk of it.

I have now installed the Seatalk to Seatalk Ng converter with the required 12v power back to the main panel. I have also purchased and installed the new 150 GPS.

As instructed, I removed the Seatalk alarm cable from the back of the E80. Now the only connection to the E80 is the power cable.

The wiring coming into the R55006 appears to be from the tridata and then some other Seatalk instrument that I have not been able to identify.

I’m not sure how to tie in the new Seatalk converter and GPS to the old Seatalk system. Referring back to the FAQ diagram referenced above, it seems like I may need the D244 distribution block that my system does not appear to have? Please advise as to the next steps.
05-21-19, 08:10 AM
Camwhit_boc40,

Q1. I removed the Seatalk alarm cable from the back of the E80. Now the only connection to the E80 is the power cable.
A1. While it is correct to disconnect the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable from the MFD, I'm a bit perplexed that you have indicated that your system features a SeaTalkhs Network Switch. If so, there should be a SeaTalkhs (M) to RJ45 (M) Cable which should connect the MFD's Ethernet network (SeaTalkhs) socket to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch. Accordingly, the SeaTalkhs (M) to RJ45 (M) Cable should be reconnected to the MFD's Ethernet network (SeaTalkhs) socket.

Q2. The wiring coming into the R55006 appears to be from the tridata and then some other Seatalk instrument that I have not been able to identify.I’m not sure how to tie in the new Seatalk converter and GPS to the old Seatalk system. Referring back to the FAQ diagram referenced above, it seems like I may need the D244 distribution block that my system does not appear to have? Please advise as to the next steps.
A2. For the benefit of others who may be viewing this thread, the FAQ addressing how to interface the Raystar 150 GPS Sensor to an E-Series Classic MFD may be found here. The second diagram within the referenced FAQ addresses how you would also interface an existing SeaTalk bus to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. You will need a total of three spur (white) sockets within the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which will be created to interface the Raystar 150 to the system (one for the MFD, one for the Raystar 150 GPS sensor, and one for the SeaTalkng Power Cable). The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will provide two spur sockets to the system. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how additional spur sockets may be added to the backbone.

Should the R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box or one of the SeaTalk instruments be interfaced to a switched 12VDC power circuit, then this power circuit should instead be connected to the SeaTalkng Power Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalkng Power Cable will then be connect to a spur socket within the backbone. The Raystar 150 GPS Sensor will be connected to another spur socket within the backbone. And lastly, the A06061 E-Series SeaTalk2 to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable will be used to connect the MFD's SeaTalk2 socket to the backbone.

If not seeking to use a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block, then you may want to determine whether any of the instruments has an unoccupied SeaTalk socket. If so, then the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit may be used to link that instrument (and the rest of the SeaTalk bus) to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Alternatively, the press fit 3-pin plug may be cut off of the aforementioned SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable and may then be connected to the R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box. Should the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable and/or SeaTalk Power Cable currently connected to the R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box, then these may be removed to permit connecting the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable's leads to the terminal strip within the R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box. When doing so, you will simply match the colors of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable's leads to the SeaTalk cable linking the instruments to the R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box.