Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Quantum — Quantum 2
07-31-19, 08:21 AM
RE: [CA11] Quantum — Quantum 2
Ed,

While the Wi-Fi channel used by the MFD for communicating with WiFi access points may be changed, the same is not so for the Quantum/Quantum 2 radomes. Currently, these radomes will exclusively utilize a single fixed channel (I believe it is channel 11) for WiFi communications and this cannot be changed by the user. Raymarine is currently considering a change to the software within the Quantum/Quantum 2 radomes which would use other channels if unable to use the default channel.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-19, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-19 09:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck based on an earlier reply in this thread where you noted that there are 2 wi-fi receivers and transmitter one for WiFi and one for the wired adapter thus from your reply today both those are a fixed channel possibly 11 and it’s the same for both and at this time it cannot be changed correct?
The WiFi on the Axiom for communicating with other access points as the web, an IPad etc can be changed correct?
07-31-19, 09:36 AM
Ed,

Q1. ased on an earlier reply in this thread where you noted that there are 2 wi-fi receivers and transmitter one for WiFi and one for the wired adapter thus from your reply today both those are a fixed channel possibly 11 and it’s the same for both and at this time it cannot be changed correct?
A1. Correct.

Q2. The WiFi on the Axiom for communicating with other access points as the web, an IPad etc can be changed correct?
A2. Correct.
08-06-19, 06:31 AM
Hi Chuck update
Went out last weekend Athens Radar still connected via WiFi. Traveled about 2.5 hrs to another marina radar worked fine all the way to the slip. Returned next day to home port same radar worked fine all way to our slip.
Thus previously when radar was hard wired it would consistently get disconnected whenever we would enter a harbor. This happened with the Axiom and with my ES7, it also happened with a loner Quantum 2. Also on these times when radar got disconnected once I was able to reconnect maybe 15 to 25 min. The radar would work fine at the dock.

I do not think it is Raynet cable itself or it’s routing as once reconnect to radar it continues to work. I am thinking it has something to do with wired WiFi adapter that gets confused after it is exposed to external WiFi signals as when enter harbor but once it’s connected in the surroundings of these signals it seems that it can function. Whereas the standalone WiFi connection seems to tolerate entering a harbor with the exposure to other WiFi signals .
Your thoughts
08-06-19, 07:45 AM
Ed,

Q. I am thinking it has something to do with wired WiFi adapter that gets confused after it is exposed to external WiFi signals as when enter harbor but once it’s connected in the surroundings of these signals it seems that it can function. Whereas the standalone WiFi connection seems to tolerate entering a harbor with the exposure to other WiFi signals.
A. I would have to concur with your findings and it would be recommended that continued use of the Quantum 2 radome be via a Wi-Fi connection to the MFD until such time as Raymarine may implement a change to the software within the Quantum/Quantum 2 radomes which would use other channels if unable to use the default channel for the Quantum wired adapter..
08-11-19, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-19 09:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Video RE: [CA11] Quantum — Quantum 2
Same setup as previous radar running but after 2.5 hours no at destination yet maybe 30 min to go radar image lost message scanner not rotating do you want to turn radar off yes- no
Selected yes tried starting same message then turned power to radar off and restarted and it works again

As a follow up to the above, when I got message radar scanner not rotating ... never seen this before was able to get radar working after turned fused switch off and restarted radar.

On return trip reconnected radar using Raynet cable and diconnected my boats on WiFi to see what happens as we approached my home harbor radar image lost said no radar found. Could not reconnect till at slip about 15 min latter.
08-20-19, 09:25 AM
Ed,

The reported symptom may be indicative of early software, whereby the radome was erroneously entering sleep mode. Should the Quantum 2 Radome have been updated with the latest available software as your earlier responses appear to indicated and should the problem re-occur, then it may indicate a problem with the radome's motor necessitating that it be Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

Regarding reconnecting the Quantum Data Cable. We have pretty well established the Wi-Fi traffic within your harbor is significant and is unfortunately using the Wi-Fi channel utilized by the Quantum Wired Adapter. Raymarine Radar engineering team has been apprised of this situation to consider a change to the Quantum and LightHouse 3 software whereby the Wi-Fi channel used by the Quantum wired adapter may be selected via the operator.
08-27-19, 02:26 PM
Update on Radar connected via WiFi.
Went on a trip back and forth to one of the places we went earlier this summer when radar was connected via Raynet and it died as we approached the port. But as it is now connected via WiFi it stayed connected both ways all the way.
08-27-19, 03:59 PM
Ed,

It appears that you have determined the cause of the reported issue. Again, I'll be working with the engineering team to determine whether we can incorporated a Quantum WiFi channel selection setting to address conditions similar to those in your port.
08-27-19, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 10:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck
Is there a to bypass the wired adapter to have the wired Raynet cable go direct via a wire to the dome guts and not use WiFi at all. I would gladly send the unit back to get this incorporated.

When I bought the unit I never envisioned that both the wired and WiFi signal would use WiFi to transmit the data .