Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading over the summer
06-17-19, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-19 01:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrading over the summer
I am in the 1st stage of upgrading my electronics/MFD's. I currently have the following:
Two (2) E120 Classics
Raystar 125 GPS
AIS650
CP370 Sonar with B164 Transducer
S2G Smart Pilot Computer with ST8002 Controller and Remote
Cummins SmartCraft
Northstar NS100 VHF
SR6 Weather
Pathfinder Open Array Radar
E85001 Interface
I already know I have to replace the following:
1. SR6 with an SR200
2. Northstar NS100
3. Pathfinder Open Array Radar
In the end, I plan to have Axiom Pros with Navionics.
I'm on the boat almost every day doing tours, so I need to do this in stages when time permits. The boat is also used privately by my family...not much fishing, but a lot of offshore and intercostal travel.
So, here are my thoughts and questions:
1. I convert the CP370, S2G/ST8002, AIS650 to SeaTalkng and connect to a new Axiom Pro
- Should I eliminate the CP370?
- Should I eliminate the RayStar 125?, Upgrade it? or rely on the Axiom Pro internal GPS?
2. I replace the Northstar NS100 with a Ray90
- will this work with the AIS650?
3. What is the E85001 Interface used for? I have not yet traced the wires, but I'm assuming the S2G computer???
- Should it be eliminated?
- Is it relatively easy and cost effective to upgrade the S2G? If so, to what system??? I use it a lot!!!
4. Does the Seatalk Ng system require it's own breaker?
5. While I'm converting, I plan to use one of the E120's for the weather and radar...so the Ray125 would need to be connected to that unit until replaced. Make sense?
6. The last item to be replaced is the Analog radar. it this was your boat, what would you replace it with?
Thank you for your help!
Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-19, 02:09 PM
RE: [CA11] Upgrading over the summer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Charlie,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing replacement of E-Series Classic MFDs with Axiom Pro MFDs. Unless interested in RealVision, DownVision, SideVision, or low power, high frequency conical CHIRP sonar imaging and seeking to install the required transducer, I would recommend that a pair of Axiom Pro S MFDs be installed instead of an Axiom Pro RV MFD and an Axiom Pro s MFD.

Q1a. Should I eliminate the CP370?
A1a. I would not recommend doing so. The 50kHz/200kHz sonar performance of the CP370 is outstanding and is anecdotally better than the 1kW 50kHz/200kHz sonar performance of the Axiom Pro RV MFDs.

Q1b. Should I eliminate the RayStar 125?, Upgrade it? or rely on the Axiom Pro internal GPS?
A1b. If the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor is operational, then it may be retained for use with the new system or may be used as a redundant GPS sensor. I generally recommend that the system utilize and external GPS sensor unless one of the MFDs will be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead.

Q2. I replace the Northstar NS100 with a Ray90 - will this work with the AIS650?
A2. Yes. When used within systems featuring an AIS transceiver, the internal AIS receiver of the Ray90 will be configured OFF.

Q3a. What is the E85001 Interface used for? I have not yet traced the wires, but I'm assuming the S2G computer???
A3a. This device was not likely used to interface the autopilot to the system, at this would have typically been accomplished via SeaTalk. The E85001 was most commonly used to interface the marine electronics system to a PC which would have been running a navigational application (ex. RayTech, Nobeltec, etc.). The only way to know for certain would be to trace the NMEA 0183 lead which have been connected to the E85001.

Q3b. Should it be eliminated?
A3b. The answer depends upon which device the cable connected to the E85001's NMEA 0183/RS-232 terminals has been connected to and whether that device is still required within the new system.

Q3c. Is it relatively easy and cost effective to upgrade the S2G? If so, to what system??? I use it a lot!!!
Q3c. From a performance perspective, the Evolution autopilots are vastly superior to those which preceded them. The currently installed drive unit and rudder reference transducer may be retained for use with the Evolution autopilot, thereby minimizing the cost of the upgrade. A S2G system for power boats would typically be replaced with a T70407 EV-150 Core Pack or T70156 EV-200 Core Pack. If you can identify the model of drive unit and identify whether the boat is equipped with a 12VDC or 24VDC power distribution system, then I may be able to advise further.

Q4. Does the Seatalk Ng system require it's own breaker?
A4. As a best installation practice, it is recommended that the SeaTalkng backbone be powered from a dedicated switched circuit, not necessarily from its own breaker. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q5. While I'm converting, I plan to use one of the E120's for the weather and radar...so the Ray125 would need to be connected to that unit until replaced. Make sense?
A5. Yes.

Q6. The last item to be replaced is the Analog radar. it this was your boat, what would you replace it with?
A6. Assuming that you were satisfied with the performance of the old open array radar, then I would recommend that a Magnum radar of the same or similar power output and same array size be chosen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply