Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] C-Series Seatalk to NMEA 0183 integration
06-18-19, 01:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-19 10:27 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] C-Series Seatalk to NMEA 0183 integration
Hi,

On deck i have C80, ST4000+AP & ST60 wind, dept and log all interconnected by SEATALK

Below deck a C70, ST60 wind head connected by Seatalk

C70 and 80 are feed bidirrectional with AIS and trough the NMEA 0183 ports via central MUX (shipmodul) that gets/feeds other vendor AIS and VHF on N2k.

Q1: does C80/C70 copy NMEA data to SEAtalk port and reverse.

Regards from Denmark
Find all posts by this user
06-18-19, 10:39 AM
RE: [DG11] C-Series Seatalk to NMEA 0183 integration
Hi loevevang

Thank you for your enquiry.

C70 and C80 will convert NMEA0183 data on it's input ports and output on SeaTalk as well as in the opposite direction - EXCEPT for AIS data, AIS data cannot be converted to SeaTalk.

Please also note that if the NMEA ports on the C70 and C80 are set to the higher 38400 baud rate required for AIS, then the standard 4800 NMEA cannot be coinnected - I suspect that is why you are using an MUX.

Regards

Derek
07-23-19, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-19 06:22 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek,
I have recently replaced my AIS500 with an AIS700. The 500 worked fine in my system for many years until it just recently gave up. I have connected the new AIS700 exactly as the 500 was connected. I.e. connected to an C80 MFD and also to a S3G auto pilot and a VHF. Exactly according to the instructions / diagram submitted in this forum. See attached file. The AIS is also connected to a PC with ProAIS software and Open CPN software with various charts. I.e. the AIS is feeding the PC through the USB cable with GNDSS and AIS data. (the old 500 was connected with a COM to USB cable)
All looks well both on the PCs various softwares as well as on the C80 MFD. All systems are go on the Pro AIS software diagnostic function as well as receiving AIS information from vessels far away. The Open CPN is also showing AIS tagets as expected and so is the C80. However that is until I shut down the PC. Then targets are starting to disappear on the C80. The few targets remaining are eventually only showing MMSI numbers. As soon as I start the PC again all targets start to come back on the C80. I only have to power up the PC and leave it in sleep mode for the C80 targets to show. I.e. the USB cable must have power. I have tried with removing the USB cable all together. Still pore AIS function on the C80. I have tried to disconnect the auto pilot and / or the VHF from the NMEA multiplexer but nothing seems to help. The bitter end is that I need to have the PC powered and the USB cable connected to the AIS to have the AIS targets show up on the C80. (I could probably just connect the USB to a USB power outlet). What is going on? I don't want to be dependant on a powered USB cable to receive AIS targets on the C80.
Please advise what may be the problem and how to fix it.

Sincerely
Lars Hellman

Attached File(s)
.pdf  AIS NMEA 2.pdf (Size: 46.8 KB / Downloads: 596)
.pdf  AIS NMEA connection 1.pdf (Size: 31.79 KB / Downloads: 335)
07-24-19, 06:29 AM
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your enquiry,

From your description is sounds likely there is a ground loop triggered by the connection of the PC and when the PC is turned off this is dragging the data for the AIS 700 down.

Please check again by removing the power cable for the PC from the power connections when it is depowered.

Without a detailed schematic, it is difficult to comment further.
Regards
Derek
07-28-19, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-19 08:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi,

I sent a detailed description / feedback of my AIS 700 C80 / USB cable issue some days ago but have not received any respons yet. Can I expect that or do I need to handel it as a warranty claim?

Sincerely,
Lars Hellman
08-01-19, 09:12 AM
Dear Marlahe,

I have sent you a private message.

Many Thanks
Louise
08-02-19, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-19 09:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Louise,

Below is a copy of the private message issued earlier. I could nor attache the file to that message so here it is.

"
Thank you for your response.

I've been trying to capture a log file. First on the Windows PC I normally use for the ProAIS2 but it only resulted in an "Can not save - Unknown Error" message when I clicked on the Log to File icon. So I tried the same on my Mac PC only to receive the same result. So for some reason I can not save a log file. Don't know if that may be a part of the problem I'm having?

However, I have issued a connection diagram but I don't seem to be able to attache it to this message so I have sent it to the previous posts. Please have a look and see if there is anything wrong.

Sincerely,
Lars Hellman
"

Attached File(s)
.pdf  AIS700 Connection diagram Blad1.pdf (Size: 37.71 KB / Downloads: 252)
08-11-19, 04:55 PM
(07-23-19 06:54 PM)marlahe Wrote:  Hi Derek,
I have recently replaced my AIS500 with an AIS700. The 500 worked fine in my system for many years until it just recently gave up. I have connected the new AIS700 exactly as the 500 was connected. I.e. connected to an C80 MFD and also to a S3G auto pilot and a VHF. Exactly according to the instructions / diagram submitted in this forum. See attached file. The AIS is also connected to a PC with ProAIS software and Open CPN software with various charts. I.e. the AIS is feeding the PC through the USB cable with GNDSS and AIS data. (the old 500 was connected with a COM to USB cable)
All looks well both on the PCs various softwares as well as on the C80 MFD. All systems are go on the Pro AIS software diagnostic function as well as receiving AIS information from vessels far away. The Open CPN is also showing AIS tagets as expected and so is the C80. However that is until I shut down the PC. Then targets are starting to disappear on the C80. The few targets remaining are eventually only showing MMSI numbers. As soon as I start the PC again all targets start to come back on the C80. I only have to power up the PC and leave it in sleep mode for the C80 targets to show. I.e. the USB cable must have power. I have tried with removing the USB cable all together. Still pore AIS function on the C80. I have tried to disconnect the auto pilot and / or the VHF from the NMEA multiplexer but nothing seems to help. The bitter end is that I need to have the PC powered and the USB cable connected to the AIS to have the AIS targets show up on the C80. (I could probably just connect the USB to a USB power outlet). What is going on? I don't want to be dependant on a powered USB cable to receive AIS targets on the C80.
Please advise what may be the problem and how to fix it.

Sincerely
Lars Hellman

Hi
I have sent several messages but have not received any substantial response yet. How should I proceed. Shall I take my AIS700 to a dealer for warranty service?

With this message I have (again) attached a my detailed wiring diagram.

Sincerely
Lars

Attached File(s)
.pdf  AIS700 Connection diagram Blad1.pdf (Size: 37.71 KB / Downloads: 292)
08-15-19, 03:59 AM
Dear Lars,

Many thanks for your response.

The autopilot should not be connected to the AIS700 NMEA in port, there is no requirement for this.

Can you connect the AIS and C80 independently without the multiplexer, autopilot, VHF or PC connected and see if the AIS performs as you would expect.

If you could continue communication at support.uk@raymarine.com and we will be able to assist resolving your issue.

Many Thanks
Louise
Thread Closed