Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot Network Power question
08-11-19, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-19 09:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Autopilot Network Power question
I have just installed the EV200 autopilot system. I mounted the sensor forward against the front fly bridge wall, with nothing around it. The ACU 200 was mounted under the control panel and wired as follows:

Motor wires wired to MOTOR terminals

POWER terminals connected to the electronics power distribution buss with #12 wire. ((WHAT SIZE FUSE FOR THE POWER WIRE?))

Control Head has SEATALK cable to network bar

ACU SEATALK cable connected and ran to network bar

Heading sensor SEATALK cable ran to the Network Bar.

Top blue terminus has the blue plug in it

Bottom blue terminus will have a backbone(? BLUE) cable to connect it to the MFD network)

There is a RED cable that appears to be a power cable for the Network Bar However, no more slots to place it. Would I use a Blue and white TEE between the backbone cable that will join the TWO network bars together to plug this red cable into? Does the Network Bar need separate power or will the ACU power supply power the network bar? Also, will this affect the MFD/RADAR/TRANSDUCER network bar if it is power by the red cable?

Sorry for the non technical verbiage, but I am out of my league on this one. Once I get these other connections set, I will fire up the EV200 and see if it operates.

THANK YOU!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-19, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-19 10:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Autopilot Network Power question
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Tony,

Q1. POWER terminals connected to the electronics power distribution buss with #12 wire. ((WHAT SIZE FUSE FOR THE POWER WIRE?))
A1. According to Fuse ratings section of Chapter 4.3 ACU-100, ACU-150
connection of the Evolution EV-1 and ACU Installation instructions, the circuit supplying power to an ACU-200 should be protected with a 20A fuse.

Q2. Control Head has SEATALK cable to network bar
A2. I believe that you meant that a SeaTalkng Spur Cable was used to connect the autopilot control head to a spur socket within one of the backbone's T-Pieces, 5-Way Connectors, or SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters.

Q3. ACU SEATALK cable connected and ran to network bar
A3. I believe that you meant that the ACU SeaTalkng Spur Cable was used to connect the ACU to a spur socket within one of the backbone's T-Pieces, 5-Way Connectors, or SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters.

Q4. Heading sensor SEATALK cable ran to the Network Bar.
A4. I believe that you meant that the ACU SeaTalkng Spur Cable was used to connect the EV-1 CCU to a spur socket within one of the backbone's T-Pieces, 5-Way Connectors, or SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters.

Q5. Top blue terminus has the blue plug in it. Bottom blue terminus will have a backbone(? BLUE) cable to connect it to the MFD network).
A5. Noted. Two and only two SeaTalkng Termination Plugs will be installed within the backbone, one in each of the backbone's unoccupied backbone (blue) sockets of the T-Pieces, 5-Way Connectors, or SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters located at the two extreme ends of the backbone. Your photo appears to show three SeaTalkng Termination Plugs.

Q6. There is a RED cable that appears to be a power cable for the Network Bar However, no more slots to place it. Would I use a Blue and white TEE between the backbone cable that will join the TWO network bars together to plug this red cable into?
A6. This is indeed a valid means of adding a spur socket to the backbone to accommodate connecting the SeaTalkng Power Cable or another SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 device. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q7. Does the Network Bar need separate power or will the ACU power supply power the network bar?
A7. It is considered to be a best installation practice that the ACU not supply power to the backbone and that its SeaTalkng power switch be configured to the OFF position. It is recommended that the backbone be powered via the SeaTalkng Power Cable which in turn has been interfaced to a switched 12VDC power circuit. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q8. Will this affect the MFD/RADAR/TRANSDUCER network bar if it is power by the red cable?
A8. Negative. The HS5 RayNet Network Switch (if one is installed onboard) must be separately powered.
08-21-19, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-19 08:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Again, sincerest thanks!
08-22-19, 08:05 AM
You're welcome.