Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Upgrade E Series Classic Slave
08-22-19, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-19 10:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Upgrade E Series Classic Slave
I have an E120 with an E80 slave at the helm. GPS, compass, radar etc. go to the E120. The card reader on the E120 is broken, so the chart card is in the E80. I have had no problems with the system, but wanted to upgrade from V2.30 to V5.69 as I have installed a Raymarine AIS700 transponder.

I upgraded the E80 (as only its card reader works), but when I tried to upgrade the E120 (using Ethernet option) I got a message that the E80 could not communicate with the E120.

Now, as the two units have different software, the chart does not show on the E120. (This effect is mentioned on some other thread.)

What should I do? Roll back the update and upgrade the slave first? If so, how?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-19, 12:02 AM
RE: [TG11] Upgrade E Series Classic Slave
Hello Caverneer,

Upgrading over Ethernet should work, but what isn't obvious is that in order to start this process, you need to power-cycle the target E-series. It looks for network software updates for a brief period only during startup.

Power the E120 off, then on the E80, go Upgrade Remote Unit > Upgrade on Ethernet and then power the E120 on. It should upgrade then.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
08-27-19, 03:08 AM
Thanks, Tom, for the fast reply. I'll try this in a few days time and report.
08-29-19, 02:18 AM
Success! Thanks Tom.
It took three tries. As you posted, there is only "a brief period", and the master MFD easily reports it's unable to see the remote MFD. But by running back and forth between the two units, I hit upon the right timing.
Both units now work with the new (2012!) software.
Cheers.