Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Heading Sensor EV-1
10-08-19, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-19 02:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Heading Sensor EV-1
I recently installed the Axiom 9 Pro and Quantum 2 radar on my 2013 310 Sundancer to replace older Raymarine electronics. It is a terrific combination. Thank you for making such great electronics. After I purchased the units, the installer recommended I add the EV-1 heading sensor too.

I have read Chuck's very useful threads on the heading & COG differences and uses of the heading sensor posted here (dated 01-17-2016 and 11-07-2017). I think I understand most of what he wrote. My question is, I thought the doppler radar/Axiom software provided the proper course, speed and color (heading away or closing) of contacts that MARPA would also provide. So I'm confused about what else the EV-1 heading sensor would provide that I won't already have while underway.

Sorry if this question was asked and answered elsewhere. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-19, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-19 03:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Heading Sensor EV-1
Sailor Miguel,

Q. My question is, I thought the doppler radar/Axiom software provided the proper course, speed and color (heading away or closing) of contacts that MARPA would also provide. So I'm confused about what else the EV-1 heading sensor would provide that I won't already have while underway.
A. The Doppler Radar features of the Quantum II radomes will simply permit radar targets which are moving toward your vessel to be colored red, while those which are moving away to be colored green. While similar in terms of indicating whether a radar target is a potential collision threat, the collision avoidance capabilities of MARPA and ARPA features provide additional data (CPA, TCPA, etc.), target vectors, and, radar target alarms. Details of these features may be found within Chapter 11.8: Radar targets of the LightHouse 3.10 Advanced Operation Instructions These latter feature require heading input from a stabilized 10Hz heading source.

For those seeking a heading input for systems running LightHouse 3 software and who do not intend to install the remaining components of an Evolution autopilot in the future, it would be recommended that an AR200 is an Augmented Reality Sensor be installed. This more cost effective alternative to the EV-1 CCU and will not only provide the system with roll, pitch, heading data as would the EV-1, but it will also function as an additional GPS input to the system. The AR200 also supports the ClearCruiseâ„¢ Augmented Reality features of compatible systems running LightHouse 3 software.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply