Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom Upgrade???
11-23-19, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-19 11:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom Upgrade???
I have an ES97, CP370 Quantum Radar, P70r, RS-150, EV-1, ACU200 and
Ray70. I would like to upgrade the ES97 to a Axiom unit but I am having trouble understanding my options. Will the Axiom 9 fit in the same holes as the ES97 without an adapter? What is the functional difference between the Axiom and Axiom pro (there is a big price difference)? Will the Axiom work with all of my existing products? Can I buy the Axiom without the maps or built in sonar and transfer the maps from my ES97?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-19, 12:00 PM
RE: [CA11] Axiom Upgrade???
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum DFMott.

Q1. Will the Axiom 9 fit in the same holes as the ES97 without an adapter?
A1. Negative. An Axiom Pro 9 S/RVX MFD is designed to fit within the same cutout / footprint of the eS9x MFDs. If considering installation of an Axiom 9 in place of an eS9x MFD which had been flush mounted, then one would need to follow the recommendations indicated within the FAQ found here.

Q2. What is the functional difference between the Axiom and Axiom pro?
A2. In addition to buttons which support use of the MFD when conditions may prevent use of a touchscreen (rain, heavy spray, slamming, high speed operation, etc.), Axiom Pro MFD offer the following additional interfaces:
- NMEA 0183 interfaces
- Analog video input interface
- 1kW CHIRP transducer or 1kW 50kHz/200kHz transducer ... either at full 1kW.
- 2 Ethernet (RayNet) interfaces
- GA150 GPS Antenna interface
- programmable button (.)

Other than support for devices which would have been interfaced to the interfaces listed above, Axiom and Axiom MFDs are functionally equivalent.

Q3. Will the Axiom work with all of my existing products?
A3. Yes, the CP370 Quantum Radar, P70r, RS-150, EV-1, ACU200 and
Ray70 may all be retained for use with either an Axiom or Axiom Pro MFD

Q4. Can I buy the Axiom without the maps or built in sonar and transfer the maps from my ES97?
A4. Any chart card which had been previously used with the eS97 MFD may simply be ejected and then inserted into the memory card reader of the Axiom or Axiom Pro MFD to be installed. The no chart option would essentially be the option to purchase with bundled LightHouse US NOAA Vector charts, as these charts are bundled little, if any, additional fee. When separately purchased, these charts cost approx. $20 ($10 for east coast charts and $10 for west coast charts) when downloaded from Raymarine's Charts Store.
11-26-19, 01:04 PM
The Axiom pro 9 will fit in the same cutout as the es97 but the Axiom 9 will not- correct? Do they both have ISD displays?

My current set-up has a B164 transducer connected to the CP370. It works good except it loses bottom around 900 feet. I fish in waters from 300' - 5000'+. I don't need to see the bottom but it would be nice to know where it is. I'm not sure if I should have better performance because I did not put the B164 in so I don't know if it was left on out of the water which may have impacted it's performance. I always see the bottom on the screen - it just stops displaying where it is in the bottom corner.

What type of range will I get if I add RealVision through the AXIOM pro with a RV100 transducer in addition to my other set-up? Will it work in deeper waters or only in waters to a certain depth? I really only need to see the top 90 feet clearly. I have a 26' boat with twin Yamaha outboards. The RV-100 is an easier install than a through the hull. Can you opine on what the performance difference would be between the RV-100 and say a pair of RV-300's?
11-26-19, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-19 02:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
DFMott,

Q1. The Axiom pro 9 will fit in the same cutout as the es97 but the Axiom 9 will not- correct?
A1. Correct

Q2. Do they both have ISD displays?
A2. I assume that you meant LCD display. If so, both feature LCD touchscreen displays.

Q2. My current set-up has a B164 transducer connected to the CP370. It works good except it loses bottom around 900 feet. I fish in waters from 300' - 5000'+. I don't need to see the bottom but it would be nice to know where it is. I'm not sure if I should have better performance because I did not put the B164 in so I don't know if it was left on out of the water which may have impacted it's performance. I always see the bottom on the screen - it just stops displaying where it is in the bottom corner.
A2. For those seeking to maintain a depth or bottom plot in water deeper than 2500' out to 5000', I would typically recommend a CP570 with a 2kW CHIRP transducer. Please note that the CP370 and B164 may be retained to be interfaced to the Axiom Pro MFD. Depth range may be manually configured when operating in water too deep for bottom to be acquired. This will permit objects that are within the range of the sonar to be imaged.

Q3. What type of range will I get if I add RealVision through the AXIOM pro with a RV100 transducer in addition to my other set-up? Will it work in deeper waters or only in waters to a certain depth? I really only need to see the top 90 feet clearly. I have a 26' boat with twin Yamaha outboards. The RV-100 is an easier install than a through the hull.
A3. The maximum depth performance of RealVision, DownVision, and low power / high frequency CHIRP sonar imaging is specified to be: CHIRP Sonar = 900 feet (274 m); DownVisionâ„¢ = 600 feet (183 m), SideVisionâ„¢ = 300 feet (91 m); RealVisionâ„¢ 3D = 300 feet (91 m)

Q4. Can you opine on what the performance difference would be between the RV-100 and say a pair of RV-300's?
A4. The only difference is that the RV through hulls are likely to maintain bottom lock at greater speeds the RV-100.