The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E120/E80 crash with Platinum+ cartridge
07-22-16, 10:04 AM
E120/E80 crash with Platinum+ cartridge
I've been using my E120 (cockpit) and E80 (Nav station below) pair since our boat was built in 2007. I'd love to upgrade to more modern radar and displays but the honest answer is that these do everything I need them to do and so its tough to justify an upgrade.

On this years vacation, however, I was moving up Vineyard Sound towards woods [censored] (in the fog) when the E120 crashed. When it came up, it crashed again. And again.. In case it was an integration/Communications issue, I went below deck and shut down the E80. Still crashed. What now?

I pulled the Navionics platinum plus cartridge (904P+ NE and the Canyons) and sure enough, it stayed up. Assuming that the cartridge might be bad, I put in an old Platinum (but not P+) cartridge and, again, it stayed up. Now I could at least get where I was going in the fog.

I called Raymarine on this. After verifying that my firmware was the latest version (5.69) the tech's best thinking was that the data on the card for that particular area (generally Woods [censored], MA and Martha's Vineyard) was beyond what could be held in the physical memory of the unit (512MB) and thus the problem.

I can believe the technical statements being made, but its unclear why its crashing on this years trip to the islands and didn't cause problems on prior trip. I don't believe the cartridge and the firmware have changed in 2-3 years.

Has anyone else run into this? If so, what did you do?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
E120/E80 crash with Platinum+ cartridge - Fricchione - 07-22-16 10:04 AM