The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] How to interface (connect) my old NAV/398 GPS to my new VHF Radio
06-06-18, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-18 10:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] How to interface (connect) my old NAV/398 GPS to my new VHF Radio
Hi all,

1) I have an old NAV/398 GPS NMEA 0183 version 1 protocol. GPS works fine. Manual shows Yellow data output (+), and Green data output (-).

2) I Just bought a new Standard Horizon Eclipse GX1300 DSC class D VHF Radio NMEA 0183 version 2 protocol. Manual & visual shows Yellow input (+), Green input (-).

3) I want to connect new radio with old GPS with the 2 wires to have Digital Selective Calling. Appears both units are compatible.

4) All my instruments are located on pedestal/console at the helm.

5) I took off the instrument panel that has all the sea talk instruments. I can't reach down far enough to see where the GPS connection terminals are. It's like 3 ft down and hidden with wires.

6) I can see and unplug (unscrew) the GPS input.

7) My Question: How can I splice the two GPS yellow & green wires to my radio yellow and green wires. Remember I only have access where GPS is plug in. I can only reach to a foot to make a connection.

8) So what kind of connectors/splicers can I use to make this work. So when I go to the marine electronics store. The know what I'm talking about?

Attached is photos.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] How to interface (connect) my old NAV/398 GPS to my new VHF Radio - friscoron - 06-06-18 04:33 PM