Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] How to interface (connect) my old NAV/398 GPS to my new VHF Radio
06-08-18, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-18 10:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] How to interface (connect) my old NAV/398 GPS to my new VHF Radio
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum friscoron,

Raymarine does not offer any matching connectors which may be used for the purposes which you are seeking. In spite of the physical challenges in accessing the cable, it will be necessary to gain such access along the cables's length. Once access to the cable is gained the cable may be cut to access its internal leads. In such situations, the cable's will typically be rejoined using a Raymarine D108 Junction Box. Within this junction box, the NAV398's NMEA 0183 OUT+ lead (yellow) will be joined to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN+ lead. Additionally within this junction box, the NAV398's NMEA 0183 OUT- lead (green) will be joined to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN- lead.

Should access be too challenging, it may be more time/cost effective to simply install a relatively inexpensive GPS sensor supporting 4800 BAUD communications (ex. Digital Yacht GPS150, etc.) to support the GPS data needs of the third party DSC VHF radio.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] How to interface (connect) my old NAV/398 GPS to my new VHF Radio - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-08-18 10:43 AM