Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] ST60 Replacements
06-27-18, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-19 08:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] ST60 Replacements
Hello Todd,

No problem. You can easily replace ST60/ST60+ with i50 and i60. They're the same 90mm circular cutout, the same footprint within a millimeter or two, are compatible with all the same transducers (same connections), and can work with either an existing Seatalk1 network (ST60-style) or a new SeatalkNG network.

One transducer compatibility note: if your masthead wind sensor is the old style with a cylindrical anodised alloy body (not the newer plastic egg-shape), then you will need to adjust the Wind Speed Calibration Factor from the default 0.7x, which is for new windvanes, to 1.0, because the new windvanes have better bearings and bigger cups and spin faster in the same windspeed. See the Dealer Cal section at the back of the handbook for details on how to do this.

The only question really is which network you use to connect them together: generally speaking we recommend transitioning over to the new SeatalkNG (NMEA2000 with easier Raymarine colour-coded connectors) network if you're connecting more than one new product together, but there are lots of installations where it's just much simpler to stay with Seatalk1. For simple wind/speed/depth you won't see any difference in operation between the two networks, you'd only start to see the benefit of STNG if you we going to have a wider system in the future (new autopilot, chartplotter etc.)

Each of the i60 and i50 displays has two 6-pin STNG spur connectors (for anyone else reading this, be aware that i70S colour displays only have one connector in line with the latest NMEA2000 spec.) so the easiest way to connect them in place of ST60s is with:
- D244 3-way Seatalk junction blocks (http://www.raymarine.com.au/view/?id=5535) and
- A06047 (0.4m) or A06073 (1m) ST1 - STNG adaptor cables (http://www.raymarine.com.au/view/?id=5536)
Exactly what combination of each you need would depend on whether your current instruments are all together or not, and whether they currently have one or both ST connectors in use, but I hope that the links help show how it would go together.

To be future-ready and cable with STNG, you would interface with any remaining Seatalk1 products via a Seatalk1-SeatalkNG convertor part E22158 (http://www.raymarine.com.au/view/?id=5535) and connect the 3 new instruments on the STNG side of the convertor with their supplied STNG spur cables.

Note that neither the A060** nor the instrument displays convert data between the two networks, the instruments just talk either Seatalk1 or SeatalkNG depending on what they're connected to. You can't connect Seatalk1 to one connector of an instrument display and SeatalkNG to the other.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[TG11] ST60 Replacements - ToddL214 - 06-22-18, 08:20 AM
RE: [TG11] ST60 Replacements - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-27-18 03:05 PM
RE: ST60 Replacements - rxcraymarine - 08-06-19, 02:26 PM