The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Axiom/RV-100 - Unclear image
07-06-18, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-18 08:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Axiom/RV-100 - Unclear image
Hello,

I recently installed an Axiom 9 with the RV-100 transom mounted xducer.

I have been disappointed with the clarity of the down, side, and 3d, but realize something else must be amiss. I have searched google and these boards quite a bit, and have found meaningful information but none has applied to my scenario 100%.

This is all on an aluminum mod-V hull, 16.5' boat.
-The xducer is on a transom saver plate, so relocating it is no big deal.
-The xducer cable was run up the Sboard side gunwale with the steering and other wiring.
-The power source came from under the console, and was where the old fish finder was connected (A Garmin Striker 4, which experienced no noise or issues). This may be a common binding point.

Issues experienced thus far:
-I lose bottom after 12kts and read -.-. I realize this can be expected from these units. I was losing bottom and had a rather large rooster tail, so I remounted it higher. I now can read to a slightly higher speed, but still lose bottom--I still have a small splash/rooster tail. Is it not supposed to have any at all? Can you lose bottom if the xducer is too deep?
-Noise/bubbles (blue spheres on depth setting) or something on 3d scan. Shows a ton of them and then all of the sudden it simply goes away and reads 'normal'. This can appear or disappear randomly.
-I have seen some vertical spikes on the downscan which are shown as horizontal lines on the sidescan. I saw this when I revved the motor in neutral, but could not discern if it was electrical noise or vibrations (but do not think they're bubbles because they reach from surface to bottom).
-I have had the MFD hiccup on me with a large vertical mark on the scan and then it starts to read clean (maybe it discharged static?).
-My 3D scan at times appears that I am in a constant valley. The walls form upward, when there are no walls. If I pass over the tall wall, it goes away after it generates the surface, but this can freak you out when navigating.

I have attached some pics of the xducer mounting, and will attach screen shots of some of the issues later this afternoon.

I will be running separate dedicated power to the unit today to see if that's the culprit. I will also verify to make sure the xducer cable isn't wound around anything on its routing.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Ian
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[TG11] Axiom/RV-100 - Unclear image - neegra - 07-06-18 01:45 PM