Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] GPM400 to Axiom Pro upgrade/retrofit
07-16-18, 12:51 PM
RE: [CA11] GPM400 to Axiom Pro upgrade/retrofit
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Anthem,

Q1. I believe the BL744VL will interface directly with the Axiom Pro RVX with adapter cable by removing the DSM300, so that should be fine.
A1. Should the B744VL transducer's cable's plug have been able to be mated to the DSM300's transducer socket without need of adaptation, then this transducer may indeed be adapted to be interfaced to the 1kW Transducer socket of an Axiom Pro RVX MFD.

Q2. I imagine I’ll have to get the HS5 network switch and interface that with the HSS switch to interface the two.
A2. The currently installed SeaTalkhs Cables may be adapted to be mated to the Ethernet Network (RayNet) socket of the Axiom Pro MFDs.

Q3. But if I bring just one Axiom Pro 16 online, will the dual GPM400 have to be completely disconnected when I do that ?
A3. Yes.

Q4. Or can they coexist on the same HS5/HSS Raynet, STng network ?
A4. The GPM400s cannot be interfaced to the same Ethernet network in which is use to network the Axiom Pro MFDs. It is recommended that the GPM400s be removed and that the existing switch(es) be left in place to support networking the Axiom MFDs to the existing system. The VPM400 and SR100 would need to be removed ... SR100 replaced with SR150. Analog video sources may be interfaced to the MFDs (one per MFD) or encoded to be shared within the network. Unlike earlier generations of MFDs, Axiom Pro MFDs are designed to share analog video with the systems other Axiom MFDs.

Q5. It seems like I have to do a hard disconnect when that happens - well certainly with the direct transducer connection into the Axiom (does the Axion put that information back onto the NG network for the older GPM400’sn to get ?).
A5. If seeking a more modular approach, it would be recommended that you consider a CP370 50kHz/200kHz Fishfinder Sounder Module or RVX1000 3D CHIRP Sonar Module (would additionally support RealVision, DownVision, SideVision when accessorized with RealVision transducer). Like the Axiom Pro RVX MFDs, the RVX1000 1kW Transducer socket may be adapted to be mated to a compatible 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder transducer.

Q6. From my research here, the SPX-30 autopilot and the SuperHD radar appear to be compatible with the Axiom Pro as well. One is on NG and the other I think is on the SeatalkHS.
A6. Correct. The key feature to understand is that the Autopilot Controls feature of LightHouse 3 software is not supported with SPX autopilots. In all other regards, SPX autopilots will perform with MFDs running LightHouse 3 software much as the autopilot would have performed with the GPM400.

Q7. Any other thoughts and caveats I should be aware of ?
A7. None other than considering the installation of Axiom XL 16 MFDs and a RMK-10 Remote Keypad at the lower station if seeking an installation which is more glass bridge-like in appearance.

Q8. Also, I see the Axiom XL 16 just got released. Is there a compelling reason to choose one over the other (Axiom Pro vs Axiom XL). One looks to have some knobs and entry mechanisms while the other is for a totally enclosed bridge ?
A8. Indeed, the primary difference is in the appearance and screen technology. As indicated above, Axiom XL MFDs would be recommended for those seeking a glass bridge appearance to the helm. Axiom XL MFDs may also be interface to a PC to permit the MFD to repeat the screen image of the PC and to remotely control the PC.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] GPM400 to Axiom Pro upgrade/retrofit - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-16-18 12:51 PM