The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+
09-25-18, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-18 12:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+
Hi Chuck,
I hope this is worth posting as it brings together a combination of gear that I have not found anywhere else on the forum.

I have inherited a bunch of displays and transducers with a boat that I just bought. Only the speed and depth transducers are currently installed. The previous owner took all his new instruments with him (B&G).
I’m pretty sure the speed and depth transducers are raymarine but will need to check model etc. next time I’m on the boat.

I’ve studied all the manuals and read a lot of forum posts and FAQ’s and I think I have come up with a workable system as shown on the attached diagram.
I’d really appreciate it if you could check it out for me and let me know if it’s any good.
If this system is workable then it’s a real testament to raymarine’s ability to support old equipment so that it makes up a useful system in a cost effective way.

I have a few questions too:

Questions
Is the system layout ok generally?
Is Heading input required for GWD calculation? What transducer options are available and what is best option to connect to system? I assume there is no way to output heading data from ST2000+ to the bus and anyway, it is usually not connected.
Will GPS Data (Waypoints, COG etc.) get to ST2000?
Will any autopilot data and alarms be visible or controllable from ST60+ graphic?
Will wind data get to ST2000+ for wind angle steering?
The A70D manual shows an NMEA converter between it and the sea talk bus, is this required? I’m thinking that for connection to Sea Talk NG (as shown on the diagram) this may not required.
If I add an ITC-5 to gather depth and speed transducer data direct to Sea Talk NG, will I still be able to calibrate speed/depth? Is there any real benefit to doing this? Or is it ok as is?
If ST2000+ is disconnected (as it usually will be) will this have any effect on the system?
I am considering the option to add ST 60+ Depth instrument to Sea Talk 1 bus but don't see the need, since depth data is not used by any other calculation on the system and the depth display is all I need to display it. Is there any benefit to connecting it?
Is there anything in this system that can calculate and display set and drift (tide/current flow) information? What would I need to add to get that data?
Any problem with sharing a speaker between Fusion Stereo system and Ray55? A toggle switch would be fitted so that only one device would be connected to the speaker at a time.
Any ferrites needed anywhere in the system?
Any other tips, hints or ideas?
There is no ground system on the boat so all grounds will be connected to the negative battery terminal. Is this ok? Is it better to have a separate ground
If you were to recommend one or two new bits of gear to buy to really add functionality to this system, what would they be?
I did not get a chart card with the system. I have C map chart licenses for an iPad App. Is there any way to use these on the A70D, or do I need to buy a particular type of chart format?

Looking forward to your reply.

Dave

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Layout rev A.pdf (Size: 71.22 KB / Downloads: 675)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+ - dave.squared@hotmail.com - 09-25-18 12:39 AM