Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+
09-25-18, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-18 12:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

Q1. Is the system layout ok generally?
A1. The diagram appears correct in all but the use of a transducer pod. Instrument transducers which have been interfaced to an instrument pod or iTC-5 cannot be calibrated by a ST40/ST60/ST60+/i50/i60 instrument. Systems featuring an instrument transducer pod or iTC-5 must feature in i70S/i70 MFID or an ST70 MFID (retired). The MFIDs are responsible for calibration of any instrument transducers which have been interfaced to an iTC-5 and for setting any alarms associated with data from these transducers.

Q2a. Is Heading input required for GWD calculation?
Q2a. Yes.

Q2b. What transducer options are available and what is best option to connect to system? I assume there is no way to output heading data from ST2000+ to the bus and anyway, it is usually not connected.
A2b. Incorrect. Assuming that system will feature the A70D MFD referenced within Q6, then a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit would be used to interface the ST2000+ and ST60+ instruments to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the MFD will be interfaced as a spur.

Q3. Will GPS Data (Waypoints, COG etc.) get to ST2000?
Q3. When the MFD has been commanded to execute a Go To Waypoint/Cursor or Follow Route command, the navigational data will be transmitted by the MFD to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 200 backbone will be bridged to to the unpowered SeaTalk bus by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to permit use of the autopilot's Track feature.

Q4. Will any autopilot data and alarms be visible or controllable from ST60+ graphic?
A5. Negative.

Q5. Will wind data get to ST2000+ for wind angle steering?
A5. Should the ST60+ Instruments be interfaced to the same SeaTalk bus as is the autopilot (as is shown within your diagram) or should the system feature one bus for the ST60+ Instruments and a second bus for the ST2000+, each interfaced to the backbone by a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, then wind data would indeed be available for the autopilot to sail to wind.

Q6. The A70D manual shows an NMEA converter between it and the sea talk bus, is this required? I’m thinking that for connection to Sea Talk NG (as shown on the diagram) this may not required.
A6. The A-Series Classic MFD's manual was produced prior to the introduction of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. Please refer to the response to Q6.

Q7. If I add an ITC-5 to gather depth and speed transducer data direct to Sea Talk NG, will I still be able to calibrate speed/depth? Is there any real benefit to doing this? Or is it ok as is?
A7. Negative. Systems featuring an iTC-5 must feature in i70S/i70 MFID or an ST70 MFID (retired). The MFIDs are responsible for calibration of any instrument transducers which have been interfaced to an iTC-5 and for setting any alarms associated with data from these transducers.

Q8. If ST2000+ is disconnected (as it usually will be) will this have any effect on the system?
A8. Yes. Data items which are dependent upon heading data will be unable to be calculated or displayed.

Q9. I am considering the option to add ST 60+ Depth instrument to Sea Talk 1 bus but don't see the need, since depth data is not used by any other calculation on the system and the depth display is all I need to display it. Is there any benefit to connecting it?
A9. Depending on where the vessel will be operated and how well you know the waters depth data is typically considered to be as important, if not more important than GPS data to the safe operation of the vessel. That said, should the A70D MFD be interfaced to a compatible fishfinder transducer, then it will not only supply depth data to the system, but will also plot the bottom, indicate bottom hardness, and support fishfinding.

Q10. Is there anything in this system that can calculate and display set and drift (tide/current flow) information? What would I need to add to get that data?
A10. Yes. Set and drift are components of the vector difference between the Over Ground Vector and the Through Water Vector. These vectors require COG, SOG, Heading, and Speed Through Water data to correctly perform the calculation of set and drift.

Q11. Any problem with sharing a speaker between Fusion Stereo system and Ray55? A toggle switch would be fitted so that only one device would be connected to the speaker at a time.
A11. This is typically not recommended due to the potential for damaging the circuitry of either product. I believe that there may be some third party solutions in the marketplace for automatic switching where priority is assigned to the VHF radio (other other source designated by the operator). However Raymarine does not offer any such products. The best installation practice would typically call for installing a dedicated speaker.

Q12. Any ferrites needed anywhere in the system?
A12. Not unless RF noise is detected when operating the equipment. Then the ferrites would be applied to the power cable of the device which is producing RF emissions.

Q13. Any other tips, hints or ideas?
A13. Negative.

Q14. There is no ground system on the boat so all grounds will be connected to the negative battery terminal. Is this ok? Is it better to have a separate ground.
A14. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q15. If you were to recommend one or two new bits of gear to buy to really add functionality to this system, what would they be?
A15. If traveling congested waters in periods of low visibility, then you may want to consider adding an AIS350 AIS receiver or AIS700 AIS transceiver to the system.

Q16. I did not get a chart card with the system. I have C map chart licenses for an iPad App. Is there any way to use these on the A70D, or do I need to buy a particular type of chart format?
A16. The A-Series Classic MFDs running the final A-Series Classic MFD software update were exclusively designed to support Navionics Gold (now Navionics+), Platinum (not Platinum Plus), and HotMaps cartography stored on CF memory cards or microSD memory cards (requires the A62311 Raymarine Cartography Adapter which is no longer available).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+ - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-25-18 12:33 PM