The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Electric storms killing SeaTalkNG ports
02-03-19, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-19 08:32 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Electric storms killing SeaTalkNG ports
Hi everyone,
Since I bought my boat some 2½ years ago I've been replacing instruments at a steady pace, always because of the same issue: An electric storm nearby kills the SeaTalkNG ports - the instrument itself continues to work fine, just can't communicate on the SeaTalk network anymore.

The following instruments have had the SeaTalk ports die, not all at once but one now and then:
AIS-650
i60 wind display
i50 tridata
P70S autopilot control head (twice)

It's a 40 foot center cockpit fiberglass sailboat, mostly sailing winter/spring in the Caribbean. The SeaTalk ports died while the instruments were switched off and all but the AIS were/are installed at the helm, so naturally I suspect there's something making the helm position more exposed, but if so, I can't quite figure out what. Also, I could just have had a bunch of bad luck, but by now that theory doesn't seem very likely anymore :)

My setup is 100% Raymarine (yeah, I'm a fan despite a network port blowing up every 3-4 months):

- eS78 MFD (downstairs at navigation table)
- Quantum 1 radar (cable connected to eS78 MFD)
- AIS650 (antenna next to radar on aft of boat - 3 feet distance)
- Ray218 VHF (antenna on masthead)
- Autohelm 300 autopilot (mounted aft, close to hydraulic motor)
- ST7000 autopilot control head (downstairs at navigation table)

At the helm:
- i50 TriData
- i60 Wind instrument (masthead transducer)
- P70S autopilot control head

Everything is SeaTalk networked, the Autohelm 300 and ST7000 through an E22158 SeaTalk 1/NG converter kit and the Quantum radar to the eS78 MFD through a SeaTalk HS cable.

My current working theory is, that the i60 wind transducer at the masthead, and/or the wind transducer cable in the mast picks up an EMP from a nearby lightning, releasing it as an induced over-voltage in the SeaTalk NG network cable - they run 25 feet next to each other in the cable duct to the helm station - and thus killing whatever SeaTalk port is the weakest/unluckiest picking up the surge. (I know, the aluminum mast should act as a Faraday cage for the transducer cable and the cable shield is grounded, but still my best guess...)

So, I'm planning to replace the i60 Wind and i50 TriData at the helm with an i70 multifunction instrument and have the wind/log/depth transducer cables terminate an iTC-5 Transducer Converter at the foot of the mast instead of going to the helm.

But, this is just a theory - any thoughts, ideas or similar experiences are very welcome!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[DG11] Electric storms killing SeaTalkNG ports - Ulf - 02-03-19 02:18 PM