The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
02-14-19, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-19 11:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
I am upgrading electronics on my sailboat. Here is what it currently has (all at the helm).

ST60+ Tridata
ST60 Wind
ST6001 SmartPilot
S2 Course Computer (Linear Drive)
RC435i Chartplotter

This year I am keeping everything but the RC435i and adding the following:
Axiom 7 - At Nav Station
AIS 700 - At Nav Station
Axiom 9 - At Helm (This replaces the RC435i)

Next Year I plan to replace The ST60's and the ST6001 with 2 i70s' and a p70s but keep the existing S2 Course computer and linear drive.

I have attached a diagram I created for this years project. Could you please look this over and let me know if it is correct? Also, a few questions about it:

1. What do I need to connect the S2 course computer to the new network. I think I need the 254238 conversion kit, but am not sure about wires. The course computer lives in a stern locker about 10-15' away from the nav pod helm station where all of the new networking will be. I would like to be able to just plug in the new control head next year. Basically I am looking to be able to follow tracks and waypoints on the Axiom and have it work with the S2.

2. My plan is to configure the Axiom 7 as the Data Master thus it is connected to the backbone. I would like to configure the Axiom 9 as the GPS Master since it is above deck. Is this a correct setup? Should the 9 also be connected to the backbone (could be connected to an open slot on the 254238 converter)? If not what is done with the cable?

3. The 16' length of backbone I am not sure if it is long enough. Can I attach any length of backbone cable with a A06030 backbone extender? For example, the 9' section that comes with the starter kit, I could use a smaller cable where I currently have that.

Power Connection Questions:

1. My plan is to use a BlueSeas ST Blade 6 Circuit with Negative Bus Fuse Block to connect the following:

Axiom 7 - 7.5 amp fuse (calls for 7 but they only have 7.5)
Axion 9 - 7.5 amp fuse
AIS - 3 amp fuse
Old ST60+, ST60, and ST6001 - what amp fuse?
Backbone - 5 amp fuse? This will have what is shown in diagram plus the 2 i70's, p70s, and wind, speed and depth transducers next year.

2. What is the best gauge wire to extend the Axiom's and the AIS if needed, I know 2 wire, but what gauge?

3. Where is the best place to ground the grey wire that comes off the Axioms?

4. I have seen some boats have their AIS on all the time, even when sitting at anchor or dock...the way I have this setup the instruments would need to be powered on all the time for this to happen...is there a better practice way to wire power to the AIS so it is on all the time? Should it be on all the time?

Lastly, along with this plan, later on down the road I plan to install radar to this system. I know I will need to add a HS5 to expand the networking but just making sure I am setting up my system to be able to expand to that down the road.

Thank you!
Scott

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Ventus_Electronics.pdf (Size: 9.74 KB / Downloads: 516)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer - ventus - 02-14-19 08:52 AM